Smoky loads with H4350 and .243

widu13

Hi All,

I made up some reloads for the very first time today with H4350 in my .243 The loads appear to function correctly and have a very mild recoil (not that a .243 is punchy anyway) but it is really quite smoky. I'm talking a discernible cloud of smoke. At first I put it down to the Napier burning off from the mod, but it continued through all 8 test rounds I fired.

I inherited the powder and I've had it 2 months. Could it be the powder degrading?

Hi All,

I made up some reloads for the very first time today with H4350 in my .243 The loads appear to function correctly and have a very mild recoil (not that a .243 is punchy anyway) but it is really quite smoky. I'm talking a discernible cloud of smoke. At first I put it down to the Napier burning off from the mod, but it continued through all 8 test rounds I fired.

I inherited the powder and I've had it 2 months. Could it be the powder degrading?

Why not try a couple with out the can?? oh the shock horror of it!

It would eliminate the Moderator as the source tough.

a member and pal on this site cleaned his out and with the first 15 shots were like a battle at Rorke's drift and acrid pure white and very fluffy !!

I get the same with WD40 in my ASE Utra - Love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Smoke & stink is better than the can rusting away methinks.

Maybe we need to experiment with some other rust prevention fluids to see if there are any not so smelly. - Or might try sticking the can in an oven to dry it out before firing - Just need to do it when SWIMBO isn't at home!

Ian

Lack of light and rain stopped play. Glad that others have had the Rourke's Drift experience (I like that :lol:). I'm not too sure I'll get out with the rifle before Xmas now.

4350 is a fairly slow burning powder and not one that I'd have thought would suit a .243?
I suspect that the powder may still be burning after the bullet has departed the barrel which could cause smoke. Is it a short barrel?
look at using a faster powder.
MS

I tried imr4350 in my 243 and found the same - no mod either. Grouping non existent as well.

Perhaps reading a few loading manuals might help select the appropriate load in future ;).

Both IMR 4350 and H 4350 are excellent powders in the right application ........................ the 6.5x55 certainly likes it in my experience. It's well suited to the 270 Winchester and .280 rem and .280 AI along with the 25-06 and 30-06 cartridges. I have only ever loaded a few .243 Winchester rounds so cannot really comment on that but it does quite well in the 6 mm Remington according to my hand loading notes.

Ah, that's good to know. Hodgdon/IMR do list loads for it and it was recommended to me hence why I'm trying it.

Is there a generally favoured powder for .243/6mm? I'm open to suggestions if there's an generally accepted better powder.

Last edited:
I'm using Hodgdon H4831 for .243
41.5 grains H4831
Norma brass
Federal 210 match primers
100grain sierra pro hunter spritzer
From a Tikka T3 varmint

Back