Just got granted a 270

Surgemaster34

Hi just been granted permission for a 270, I just wondered your veiws on what make and model to go for without going stupid on price?

one that is local you can pick up ideally test shoot and fits you!!!

you don't say what you budget is.
plenty of these on RFD shelves that don't sell
Its not a "fashionable" chambering so ball is partially in your court when it comes to haggling, but in my experience RFD's often prefer to hold onto something to fill the shelves than let an old beater out the door for less than half the price of a new one!

One of the best calibres ever made by mortal man and will do most things better than the `fashionable` modern crappers and only surpassed by its father, the venerable .30-06 .

HWH.

on my second 270, been to Africa four times. and using Barnes TTXs or 160gn partitions has always done the job, pick the one that feels good in your hands etc, as you would a shotgun, had a Mannlicher model M for years and loved it, as I now do my 202 Sauer. deerwarden

It depends on if you are going down the moderated route or not. Personally I don't have a moderator on any of my rifles except my rimfire. The 270 is, unless you have a long barrel, no more nor less efficient that a 260 Remington, 7mm-08 or even .308 Winchester. So I'd go for absolutely nothing less than twenty-two inches with twenty-four inches as the far better choice.

Why? Because that big case works best with slow powders work best in long barrels. Plus if you do use factory ammunition, and especially 130 grain bullets, short barrels will give both muzzle flash and muzzle blast making it unpleasant to shoot. If you can also avoid light rifles less than eight or nine pounds weight without a 'scope.

you don't say what your tastes are but for £450 pounds i would be buying this
For Sale: Mannlicher model m72 stutzen
a true classic that will do all you want and more,atb wayne

I've got a taste for Mannlichers !

Especially the 50's and 60's guns Mannlicher Schoenauer MC or MCA . Have a pair of them already but I have a line on what appears to be a rather nice one in 270 WIN . Already have a carbine stutzen in 243 and a rifle configuration in 308 so another stutzen in 270 would be perfect if I'm ever able to hunt the UK and France or anywhere else in Europe !

It depends on if you are going down the moderated route or not. Personally I don't have a moderator on any of my rifles except my rimfire. The 270 is, unless you have a long barrel, no more nor less efficient that a 260 Remington, 7mm-08 or even .308 Winchester. So I'd go for absolutely nothing less than twenty-two inches with twenty-four inches as the far better choice.

Why? Because that big case works best with slow powders work best in long barrels. Plus if you do use factory ammunition, and especially 130 grain bullets, short barrels will give both muzzle flash and muzzle blast making it unpleasant to shoot. If you can also avoid light rifles less than eight or nine pounds weight without a 'scope.

+1

Great caliber that you will never regret buying provided you choose the setup carefully. Worth noting that being a faster caliber barrel wear can be quicker than the likes of 6.5x55 or .308. I would reccomend looking at a new rifle because of this but if you know what you are doing there are plenty of used ones with good barrels.

I have had four .270's at various stages of their life
one has shot 1000's of rounds mostly factory 130gr at 3100fps by 5 different members of my family

never yet seen one "shot out"

Welcome to the club Surgemaster! Keep an eye out for older Sako's as they're usually very good value for money. My old Sako AV in .270 winchester has seen a lot of work... so much that I had to put it a new stock last year but she shoots great and is my got to rifle over here.

Snag

I have (after many years and wish I had acquired a .270 earlier) got a stunning HEYM SR 20 in .270, this one is a minter and clearly has done nothing through its life. It carries a 23" Krupp steel barrel and puts three rounds through the same hole.
I am not going to butcher the barrel on this rifle, as stated earlier the .270 works best with a 22" min barrel.
Stunning rifle and round, go for the HEYM SR21 (unless you too can find a minty SR20) in .270 and stipulate you do not want the barrel shortening.

+1

Great caliber that you will never regret buying provided you choose the setup carefully. Worth noting that being a faster caliber barrel wear can be quicker than the likes of 6.5x55 or .308. I would reccomend looking at a new rifle because of this but if you know what you are doing there are plenty of used ones with good barrels.

what a load of tosh , unless you are shooting 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of rounds per year the average 270 barrel will last 20 years or more !

take deerwardens (who i know well) Mannlicher i know he shot that rifle hard for 20 years and i now know the bloke who still shoots it as a client rifle and it still shoots 1in or less groups with 130gn nosler BT's over 56gn of H4831!

I have had four .270's at various stages of their life
one has shot 1000's of rounds mostly factory 130gr at 3100fps by 5 different members of my family

never yet seen one "shot out"

If it were me I would much prefer to buy an older model used rifle from a quality maker than many of the new rifles being offered by big mainstream names at the moment. I would certainly not advise someone to buy a second hand rifle if they did not know what to look for though. There are only a few RFDs that I would trust to be straight with me about the history of a used rifle. I wouldn't knowingly buy a rifle with a worn throat and patchy rifling even though I know there are ways of making them shoot. Call me a cynic but I have learned from experience. So long as it has a good bore other issues are fairly easy to adjust. Trigger, barrel clearance, bedding. Some settle for less.

what a load of tosh , unless you are shooting 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of rounds per year the average 270 barrel will last 20 years or more !

take deerwardens (who i know well) Mannlicher i know he shot that rifle hard for 20 years and i now know the bloke who still shoots it as a client rifle and it still shoots 1in or less groups with 130gn nosler BT's over 56gn of H4831!

Not really a load of tosh at all IMHO. I've personally shot 3 barrels out on my 270...and I mean shot out and not just dirty or damaged etc.

My current barrel is a Krieger and has had 1480rds through it and it's severely fire cracked for the first 12 inches and the throat has eroded by almost 130 thou. The cartridge is over bore and will wear far quicker than other cartridge's. Unless you have the tools you will never know by peering down the bore with the naked eye.

Below is from "Accurate Shooter" and from personal experience I tend to believe them.

overboreindex2011.png

Just because a stalker still manages to kill deer with a rifle after many thousands of rounds fired, has no bearing on whether the barrel is in fact badly worn or shot out. It merely means he is hitting the kill zone despite the rifles loss of accuracy.

ATB

Hitting the `kill zone` is what it is all about !
There are thousands of one-hole rifles out there but few shooters capable of that degree of marksmanship irrespective of your personal experiences.

HWH.

Hitting the `kill zone` is what it is all about !
There are thousands of one-hole rifles out there but few shooters capable of that degree of marksmanship irrespective of your personal experiences.

HWH.

I'm not talking about the one hole rifles mate, I'm talking about whether a rifle barrel is shot out. Just because a stalker can get away with nothing but close range work does not mean the rifle is not shot out. It only means that the rifles poor accuracy does not handicap him in that situation.

Non of this is relevant to the fact that some cartridges are harder on barrels than others as was stated by a contributor to this thread. He was slapped down and anecdotal evidence cited as proof that the 270 was no harder than any other. That is plain wrong. A little bit of research would have highlighted this.

I have a little applet that calculates accurate barrel life. It was spot on for the 204. It was spot on for the 270 and a vast number of shooters around the World have found the same thing when using it. There are of course the exceptions.

I have heard the defence that because a stalker cannot shoot into one hole that there is no requirement for the rifle to do so. True in way unless the shooter want's that. Half the battle in this game is confidence. Knowing that if you do your bit the rifle and ammunition will do it's bit is a massive game changer. My 270 was one such rifle. I wanted .5MOA and got it. When it finally gave up and the best was 1.5MOA for me that was something I would not tolerate. Not that I can shoot offhand into .5MOA but I no longer trust the rifle in all situations. You are different and that's fine...but the barrel is still done.

One good thing to come of this is that I was going to sell my custom 75 for cheep money since the barrel is done, You guys tell me that can't happen...great, I think the value has just increased.
;) :D

ATB

Edit because I hate iPad and it's auto spell.

Last edited:
Back