Wax paper meat wrap.

Our American cousins refer to wax paper a lot with reference to freezing game, but I'm not sure where you'd stand with freezer burn. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if one ate game within the few short months that one is recommended to to store meat in the freezer for. On my occasional visits to Lakeland I've kept an eye out for same but havent seen it yet. One of the apparent advantages is you can label the package clearly with a felt tip.

Yes the Yanks wrap alot of their meat using wax paper and various packaging folds. Many double wrap or use cling film (they call it something else) to combat freezer burn. I am not sure why this approach persists: I suspect partly tradition and partly economics when dealing with big batches of meat from say an elk. I will say the wrapped packages look the part and seem to stack neatly in the freezer.

If you want to try this approach on a small scale but can't find the proper paper, how about kitchen foil instead?

Personally, I double bag with two freezer bags and never suffer any freezer burn. I write a label up using a permanent marker pen on a bit of white plastic cut from a shopping bag, and place this between the inner and outer bag..

If I were processing more deer at home, I'd look at a vac packer, for for the amounts I do this method is fine..

my grandfather who was a butcher always wrapped meat for the freezer in 'butchers' paper. worked great, esp. for his venison sausages meatballs, mince, etc.

..US term for cling film..Reynolds Wrap I think it is (category defining brand, in marketing lingo - think 'hoover')

freezer burn..usually happens with meat that's wet or moist on the outside when frozen, or if left to freeze for too long. usually goes to the dogs who are very happy to accept it ;)

From what I've read freezer burn is actually the meat under going "freeze drying" and it more a problem with frost-free freezers..Its also why vac packing work so well and wrapping in wax paper is not so good... I believe the meat is still edible, but just doesn't look very appetizing, but I've never tried to save any as I tend not to get any in the first place..

From what I've read freezer burn is actually the meat under going "freeze drying" and it more a problem with frost-free freezers..Its also why vac packing work so well and wrapping in wax paper is not so good... I believe the meat is still edible, but just doesn't look very appetizing, but I've never tried to save any as I tend not to get any in the first place..

ah, I was referring to freezer burn as what meat looks like after it's been frozen for too long, ie. it goes all bland and crusty. mind, when I say packing in paper, that refers to packing in paper, and THEN packing that inside of a zip lock bag.

On a shortage of vaccum seal bags I rushed to cash and carry to see what they had.
All they had was this wax meat wrap so I figured I will give it a go.
I have a few sausages now wrapped and in the freezer for an experiment.

I have to say the wrapping was easy and very presentable.
The finished product had a "old school" feel about it and gave the sausages a high end feel that vac pac just doesn't have.

Time will tell how the freezer burn is.
What would you say is an appropriate time for the freezer test?

Back