Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe in fox snares

Roe in fox snares

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone had any advice ( other than take them up ! ) on how to stop Roe getting in fox snares.

On this piece of ground there have been 4 roe around for a while ( they get left alone on this piece ), and we have had quite a few foxes on tramlines,etc where there have been roe slots showing also, no problems.

However just spoke to the keeper in the last week he has taken 2 roe out of fox snares within 100 yds of each other in a wood where he has had some set, managed to release them both by pinning the wire down then cutting the snare noose. He advised it wasn't the easiest thing to do !

So my questions are, 1. do you think the deer will survive ( he advises they ran off fairly sharpish ! ), and 2. Is there a way to discourage the roe to put there head in ?

He has now tried putting a branch above the top of the snares to see if he can encourage them to jump over it.

Any advice / ideas welcome !!

Unless he has his snares set particularly high (and I dont see why he would) roe normally would just knock a snare out the way as they walk past. The bottom of the loop should be about 7/8" from the ground with a loop of about 10" in diameter. Set as such I think it would be highly unlikely that due to the shape of a roe's head, ears and angles that it carries it's head it would manage to cleanly put it's head into the loop. To avoid deer being caught by the feet the snare should have a stop fitted whereby the loop can not become any less than a 9" circumference and therefore too large to snare a roe foot. All my snares are fitted with a "break away" system whereby a larger non target species having been snared will be able to break open the snare and escape. POssibly your keeper is using old style snares which in Scotland are illegal.

Hi, thanks for the reply

The snares aren't set particularly high, usually around a span of your hand from ground to the bottom of the snare. My cocker spaniel has an uncanny knack of getting in them sometimes so you can see how high they are.

The loops arent particularly big either, only normal size snares shop bought.

Both deer had been caught round the neck as the snares do have stops on them for if they get a leg in. I am wondering if they have just been walking along with the head down feeding, I have seen them walking around like that in the past and just unluckily got there head in.

I did take a roe doe out last year the same off a dyke side and she too had it round the neck. She did walk off but I am not convinced she survived, probably the stress of it all.

I dont think these ones have the break away system on them although he was going to move to them anyway here in england.

But would you really want one running away with a snare round its neck as from what i understand its between then snare and the peg that it "breaks" ? ( not seen one yet ). I suppose the deer will get less stressed than being in the snare for a while.

Put a jump over them, a hazel stick bent over does the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post

Exactly, something the deer will easily see, lift their heads and go over, fox will see lower it's head and go under

Yep, a stick over the top will do the trick usually.

Are they set in a hole in a hedge or fence line? Deer will belly through them if need be.

hi tikka_69, im not sure sure if the deer would survive or not, depends on how often the snares are checked as to length of time the deer is caught & stressed. hopefully your keeper is checking more often than legally required.
    personally if ive got fox & deer using the same paths,tramlines or area I don't snare but the stick over the top should work, was always taught fox under deer over.
    id put in more time finding a fox run & just a fox run or try baiting into a suitable area & putting in more time on the lamp or an early morning laying in wait for the fox.
    you don't say if you have a serious fox problem or if its just precautionary snaring.
    hope this helps JWB

Well others will know a lot better than me, but a keeper I speak to, who has been on his snaring course, tells me it's, maybe "illegal" is too strong a word, but not advised, nowadays to put a stick across the top in case the animal going into the snare gets twisted around the stick and dies, or suffers unnecessary stress or whatever! I know this goes against generations of knowledge and experience but I do believe that's the current script. Please dont shoot me down if this is incorrect but my belief is that this is the state of affairs now.