Any opinions? Altberg boots - Gamekeeper Stark Extreme

andyf

Looking to get a new pair of boots and thought these looked like a good deal at the price and know many folk rate Altberg. Also beneficial that we'll be driving across the A66 on Saturday so planning to drop by the factory shop and try before I buy!

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/moorland-extreme-boot/

Anyone get any experience of these? Like the idea of the coated leather as they won't get heavilly used and should make care & proofing a bit easier than some uncoated leather boots (I hope!).

Welcome any feedback.

Last edited:
I can't comment on that model but I've worn Altbergs for a few years now. The first pair were Peacekeepers and they were agony for about 2 months constantly giving me blisters but then felt like a second skin. The next pair were Field and Fell and werea perfect fit from the box and heaven to wear. Both pairs are still going strong, waterproof, warm and comfortable definitely recommend them.

Had mine for 2 years, like a second skin, don't feel them on they are so comfortable, they will also re-sole and re-furbish for £35.

Sounds promising. Although just checked their website and they close from midday Friday so my plan to stop by on our way down South Saturday is snookered!

I don't know if the military ones and the "country" ones are different but I bought a pair of Altbergs on recommendation from a friend in the forces and they are utterly crap. Uncomfortable and they let in water. Also didn't last as long as my meindls. And they have this bloody stupid snatch block type thing half way up to clamp the laces, ridiculous, you end up with the bottom half of your foot starved of blood and the top too loose! I have given this opinion once or twice on here and been shouted down by the Altberg lovers so I assume I got a Friday afternoon pair. One thing is for certain I won't ever buy any more.

Had a pair of field and fell that lasted for 15 years. Most comfortable boot I ever had. Remained waterproof until the end.

....And they have this bloody stupid snatch block type thing half way up to clamp the laces, ridiculous, you end up with the bottom half of your foot starved of blood and the top too loose!....

I struggled with similar when I first got mine - then I realised what I was doing wrong. That 'locking eyelet' is there so you can vary how tightly laced the bottom and top half of the boot is. Used properly it makes for a brilliant fit, used incorrectly it makes for blue toes and pinch spots on the lower half of your foot.

Just one opinion Awesome boot and I've tried a lot of the others !
Coating is great as is the lock block if thier was a tiny niggle they could do with longer laces :D

Last edited:
I struggled with similar when I first got mine - then I realised what I was doing wrong. That 'locking eyelet' is there so you can vary how tightly laced the bottom and top half of the boot is. Used properly it makes for a brilliant fit, used incorrectly it makes for blue toes and pinch spots on the lower half of your foot.

I had them for three quarters of a season before the sole came off. Never could get them to lace right. They were a bloody nightmare.

I've got the highmoor, looks the same boot but without the coating. I've had them 2 years with no issues and comfy from new.
Atb
Simon

The Gamekeeper Extreme boots the OP was suggesting look almost identical to the Blackislander Diotto boots I have. If they perform anything like my boots they will be worth it.

Thanks for the feedback. Generally pretty good, which is positive! Pity I'm going to miss the factory shop on Saturday though.

Anyone know if they are stocked elsewhere? I'd prefer to try first so that I'm not left with the cost/hassle of exchanging sizes.

Altberg are a UK company and make most of their products in the UK , if you are not happy you can telephone them or call in and see them! they also will make you custom fit boots , no other boot maker I know of offers this. They are used by the armed forces including special forces which should also tell you something.

Alt-Berg | High Quality Hiking Boots Walking Boots

If your coming back a1 call at swillington they do diotto s which are simular I have 2 pairs and they fit really well no treating needed and wash off with hose pipe and no drying for next day

I bought a pair towards the end of September, and they are spot on. I struggle to get boots that I get on with, and these are excellent. I've been in water almost to the top and they are definitely water proof. In fact I've only just taken them off about half hour ago, just been out foxing in them. I cant recommend them enough.

I've the Gamekeeper boot.

Had them for two years now and no problems at all. Probably the most comfortable and hardwearing boot I've had.

Picked mine up from the factory and they go out of their way to ensure a good fit.

George

Back