As I have only recently got my FAC I need some advice please chaps…
I have been invited to help clear bunnies from a piece of land by the guy that already shoots there whose FAC application is underway, the farmer is happy for me to come and do this.
I have a “closed “ certificate with the standard “land deemed suitable by the chief for the areas where you have permission...” etc on both my rimfires and the .243 so my understanding is that the onus is on me to ensure it is cleared for the calibre I intend to use…the guy with the permission says it is as the farmer shoots but I said I wanted to check with FEO before shooting just to be sure…this is where the saga begins.
I emailed the firearms licensing team and after a few days got no response and so decided to ring as the farmer really wanted the rabbits dealing with…after getting sent round in circles on the automated land line I called the FEO who did my interview / inspection and left a voicemail and she called me back – she checked the land on the system and confirmed it was cleared all the way up to my .243, but then told me I couldn’t shoot it until the people in the office responded to my email and said I could shoot…
The following week the office staff called my mobile and again confirmed that the land is cleared to .243 but this time told me I cannot shoot it until I provide written permission for them to put on my file – so this is my question, I was under the impression that written permission is not required and so this is not a legal requirement – surely I have fulfilled my part and made every effort to ascertain whether the land is cleared?
Additionally, I had asked for a clearance check on another piece of land which is a friend’s permission as he has no interest in rifles so I can shoot there including the odd fallow which is on there – firearms team told me this land is cleared for HMR and when I asked how I could get it cleared for the centrefire the response was “you can’t, we are not doing any more land checks!” – obviously I didn’t want to get on the wrong side of them so said ok I will come back to you. I also have to have the written permission letter on file before I can use my rimfires on this piece of land as well.
Any thoughts or advice – have I misunderstood or am I being asked to jump through unnecessary hoops? Is is reasonable / acceptable to refuse to do a land check?