Vfg cleaning felts

I use it in the .22lr and .223rem (same jag). It's useful but not as good as a nice tight fitting bit of 4x2 as the felts aren't really that tight in the bore.

I purchased mine from Frankonia about 7 or 8 years ago. I purchased two bags of 500 felts thinking that I would use them much quicker than the rate that I have been using them. I still have about 950 left but I think they must be breeding in the box because the number in the box never seems to go down.:lol:

A friend uses them in his .308 and swears by the system but I think that perhaps he isn't as demanding as me in his cleaning regime.

That's interesting to hear. I think they might be good for applying bore paste? I take it you haven't tried the ones with the brass thread woven in to them?

No I haven't tried those. Yes I would think that a paste would work on the felt pads.

Hi Danny

I've tried both, I use the ones with the Brass threads after I've been down the range. I have to say that I find the system works really well and would recommend them to anyone. Although the felts are a little hard to find in the UK.

Hi Danny

I've tried both, I use the ones with the Brass threads after I've been down the range. I have to say that I find the system works really well and would recommend them to anyone. Although the felts are a little hard to find in the UK.
+1 very good system.

I love the VFG stuff, it is handy, a lot easier to use than 4x2 and the felts make it easy to apply copper solvent, bore paste, oil or whatever.
As for getting a good tight fit to bore like using 4x2, simply put two felts on the end of the cleaning rod and tighten them down a bit.
The felt nearest the cleaning rod will bulge slightly and this will ensure a good clean.
I buy mine via
http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/cleaning-kit-c-40.html?page=2&search_in_description=1
They usually stock .177, .22, 6mm, 6.5mm and 7.5mm in normal and "intensive" (the sort with the brass thread woven in).
I usually find that it's unnecessary to use more than one intensive felt to get a decent cleaning job done even on the F-class rifle.
For my stalking rifles a couple of felts soaked in carbon solvent followed by 5 or 6 clean dry felts is usually enough for a good cleaning job.

Thanks for the heads up on the intensive felts guys, I will have to give them a go. At the same time thanks for making me look at the website again. There is certainly a lot more information on it than when I last looked some years ago and as a result I will be changing how I use the system.:tiphat:

I was shown the system some years ago by a friend and it seems that I may have been shown not quite right and have not been using the felts to best advantage for some time now.:oops:

Back