Dougster #3 Blooded

The BlackBerry vibrated. I reached to silence the marital-friendly alarm clock and wished I’d resisted “ just one more” pint of Southwold’s finest some 7 hours earlier. The temptation to simply turnover and snooze was intense and made all the more attractive c/o the heavy rain lashing the window. As the intensity of impact increased I resisted the invitation to idleness and imagined myself creeping through some winter sun-dappled coppice with rifle & single stick in hand. I leapt from bed or rather whatever passes for such at 55 and stuck a good glob of toothpaste into a mouth I could barely open. Job done and Land-Rover loaded I hit the road. We would have roe filet for Christmas and what’s more Dougster’s fine stalking knife was finally going to get seriously dirty albeit far too many years after commissioning what I believe is “#3”.

And so it did and a fine piece of steel it proved: Long enough to bleed without having to ram most of the scales into the chest cavity; chunky enough to bite deep into sinew and ligament when removing legs (if you hit the right line!); similarly deft at lopping off heads and in the case of this doe two downward thrusts to the sternum was sufficient to open ribcage.

In summary a cracking piece of kit and only to be improved by a wee bit more reduction/profiling of the scales just below lanyard hole as I believe is now standard.

Cheers

K
IMG_3681_zpse7eca77a.jpg

Last edited:
Well done K, great tools to use as you say. I get on great with my one!

Fantastic photo.

ATB

Bryan

Great to hear the feedback for Big Nos... I mean Dougster.

Especially from one of the original batch owners - 000 continues to work day in day out here. Its like so many things, in many ways hard to describe just how good they are unless its to someone who uses it. At best you look a bit strange at worst sounds like marketing bluster - which isn't Dougster at all.

Great to hear the feedback for Big Nos... I mean Dougster.

Especially from one of the original batch owners - 000 continues to work day in day out here. Its like so many things, in many ways hard to describe just how good they are unless its to someone who uses it. At best you look a bit strange at worst sounds like marketing bluster - which isn't Dougster at all.

Possibly age as I refuse to accept its the hat!

K

Great picture. Love the contrasts, colors and composition not to mention of course the subject mater - deer stalking.

Great to see it out and thrilled you like it. I have the same version as yours but in RWL34 rather than the CPMS30V you have, yes it is #3 and I think mine is #12. I also have the earlier handle and one day hope to own the new shape which is much more user friendly.

Despite his best efforts to be otherwise, my friend Andy must have credit for considerable input into this knife, he is mentioned in January's Sporting Rifle as having been so. Maybe when he forgets my propensity for clearing forests of deer he'll take me out again and I can use mine on a red again.

I have a few things to do for Christmas, then I'm having a week off, I'll be dabbling over New Year week and then back at it full speed 6th January as my 6 week supply stint is over. I can get back to sanding handles and cutting leather, something I love.

Maybe I'll even have a chance of being woken early and getting to use my knife on my local roe, but we can dream.

Great photo, lovely review and many thanks for taking the time to do it, it was a lovely surprise to read it this morning.

Back