6.5 Creedmoor

6pt-sika

I think I might have a left hand Savage Model 11 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a youth LOP stock and a Nikon 3-9 coming to me ! This should be better for my wife then the 25-06 I bought for her in the spring . This one will be shorter lighter and less recoil also a prime candidate for the Hornady 123 SST !

The 123's can be problematic in the CM; very sensitive to the amount of jump. Some say it has to do with the ogive, others say it has to do with where the center of gravity is on the bullet. (As I understand it, the 123gr SST was specifically designed for the Grendel, so no great surprise that it may not shine in another cartridge.)

I have found them to be have so-so (acceptable) accuracy, but no where near the accuracy (stellar) of the 120gr and 140gr bullets. And yes, I tried the 123gr SST's...meh. The cheap Prvi 120gr HP's actually shot better...:-|

Edit: And this was in both a bolt gun and a gasser (DPMS LR).

Last edited:
Loads of places have creedmoor brace on special in the Us right now. I believe it to be a cracking round. However availability of components here is diabolical.

Hope or the wife enjoys it.

This is coming direct from Savage in exchange for something else of theirs they couldn't fix . It might however turn into a 260 either would be okay with me .

The 123's can be problematic in the CM; very sensitive to the amount of jump. Some say it has to do with the ogive, others say it has to do with where the center of gravity is on the bullet. (As I understand it, the 123gr SST was specifically designed for the Grendel, so no great surprise that it may not shine in another cartridge.)

I have found them to be have so-so (acceptable) accuracy, but no where near the accuracy (stellar) of the 120gr and 140gr bullets. And yes, I tried the 123gr SST's...meh. The cheap Prvi 120gr HP's actually shot better...:-|

Edit: And this was in both a bolt gun and a gasser (DPMS LR).

Having seen the Marine shoot, I can attest to the accuracy of the PRVI 120's BTHP's at 700 yards. I have shot very small groups with them from my X55.~Muir

Loads of places have creedmoor brace on special in the Us right now. I believe it to be a cracking round. However availability of components here is diabolical.

Hope or the wife enjoys it.

Really ?? I have brass , Dies , Bullets and powder , complete with a plethora ( ie loads of) load data on the shelf. :british:

Really ?? I have brass , Dies , Bullets and powder , complete with a plethora ( ie loads of) load data on the shelf. :british:

How much is your brass?

When I compared Edgar's retail prices to US prices it makes more sense to go 6.5x47 here in the uk. When I tried to get brass from Edgar's last year they only had 50 in and gave no indication of getting more. I put the idea on the back burner.

If creedmoor brass was £60/100 it would be worthwhile IMHO.

As fate would have it, I was just playing with forming 6.5 CM brass this morning. I have a 7mm-08 die that I shortened on my lathe to push the shoulder back and take .308 brass down to 7mm. Then I trim, FL resize, neck turn and voila, 6.5CM brass. If I can't find CM brass, then I can fall back on .308 brass (which always seem to be available, even if expensive).

Thanks to the fellows on the CM forums for the details on shortening a 7-08 die.

Last edited:

In the little inexpensive Savage Model 11 , if they'll do 3 shots in 3/4" at 100 yards thats good enough . I seriousely doubt if this gun gets fired alot . I may kill a deer with it next year and then my wife will use it once she is in the USA .

I used the Nosler 120 BT in the little Remington Model 7 in 260 REM I used to have and while the bullet shot nicely on paper I had some issues with it as a killing bullet and later went to the Nosler 125 Partition exclusively in the Model 7 . But I just might give that one a try again as well .

Well the 6.5 Creedmoor is out now !

I talked with the Savage lady today and I've told her to send me the same thing in 260 REM .

I was having a tough time finding 6.5 Creedmoor dies that I liked at a semi reasonable price . Where as I can get a set of RCBS 260 dies for about $28 dealer cost . RCBS or Redding for the CM were twice that .

I let all my 260 brass go when I sold the Model 7 but I have a plethora of 243 brass I think I'll just neck up 50 pieces of that !

At the moment the retail on Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass is £91.70 compared with £116.00 for Lapua 6.5 x 47, 6.5 Creedmoor can also be formed from .243 Winchester brass

Talked with Savage today and while I had asked to change to a 260 REM they told me they had none in stock in the configuration we had agreed upon so looks like I'm getting a 6.5 Creedmoor after all !

Looks like a new set of Redding Deluxe dies and 50 pieces of Hornady brass are in the cards .

Norma are making 6.5 creedmoor brass this year don't know when it will reach our shores . expensive but good quality brass.

Norma are making 6.5 creedmoor brass this year don't know when it will reach our shores . expensive but good quality brass.

The one I'm getting is one of the less expensive versions . So with that being said the Hornady brass will be fine for this one .

Well recieved 50 pieces of shiny new Hornady brass today as well as three nylon bristle cleaning brushes for a 6.5mm . Still need the frickin rifle to get here and a set of dies .

If it takes to much longer this one won't get started until sometime in March !

Back