If I did DSC2 a question

Cris

Hi All

If you have no larder facilities of your own and take all your deer direct ( within reason) to the game dealer how do you cover the larder part or is this not necessary?

Hi All

If you have no larder facilities of your own and take all your deer direct ( within reason) to the game dealer how do you cover the larder part or is this not necessary?

A couple questions from your assessor on larder work and cleaning procedures is enough to suffice the performance criteria as "good knowledge"evidence.

As a recreational stalker who only shoots for my own consumption my first DSC2 assessment was the first time I had ever visited a game dealer larder, where, other than being shown where things were, I completed the procedure on my own followed by some additional questions from my assessor.
Wingy

Ok thanks. Would be interested in other peoples experience that don't have their own facilities.

What's termed a field larder is perfectly acceptable - and reasonable variations on that theme.

Page 15 of the edition 6 ( the current one ) is element 4 of ICR -PC's numbered 4.1 - 4.6. These cover the larder side of things and transport. At the bottom of the PC's is the following quite clear instruction -

' *** If no larder is used or the witness's larder and transport is used then the candidate must be questioned on the relevant elements of PC 4.2 to 4.6'

Hope that helps.

My assessor was fine but the keeper on the estate we used was a bit "over helpful", so I was put off a bit, however, the following visits to complete the necessary number of sessions were fine. One piece of advice would be to have your own sharp knife with you just in case the ones in the larder aren't quite so sharp!! Good luck.

Hi thanks. So these PC elements would cover as you say transport from the field, basic larder prep of carcase for delivery to dealer and larder hygiene. All them could have been done in the field or at a larder.

Thanks again and I have had a read on the DMQ site so just wanted some experiences from people that had not the physical facilities.

What's termed a field larder is perfectly acceptable - and reasonable variations on that theme.

Page 15 of the edition 6 ( the current one ) is element 4 of ICR -PC's numbered 4.1 - 4.6. These cover the larder side of things and transport. At the bottom of the PC's is the following quite clear instruction -

' *** If no larder is used or the witness's larder and transport is used then the candidate must be questioned on the relevant elements of PC 4.2 to 4.6'

Hope that helps.

Easy one to miss out this.
If you're handling the deer you take during your ICR's at home then its important to remember to cover the above sections with your AW.
Its not the AW's responsibility to ensure your portfolio is complete, its yours.
I had to pay another visit to my AW and go over questions relating to this part and submit them to the assessor after sending my portfolio off.

Limulus

You raise an interesting point. You quote 'easy one to miss' - and I'd like to make clear that nothing here is at all derogatory to you or aimed at you - but rather AW's in general. The only direct 'disagreement' ( and its with a very small and polite 'D' :D ) is regards the responsibility upon the AW.

The PC relating to 4.2 to 4.6 each carry a triple '*' next to them and in bold lettering across the bottom is the injunction that these areas must be questioned if not using own larder etc. Most candidates should pick it up - but I would say that the trained AW is totally under obligation to be au fait with this requirement and simply has no excuse not to steer the candidate right in this regard.

Whilst ultimately DMQ have to return the portfolio to the Candidate for correction - it is their evidence etc - such omissions are recognised by the system as an error by the AW and remedial action is taken - from a gentle reminder on upwards. The candidate does need to make sure the portfolio is complete as L says - but that doesn't release the AW from his duty to do the job right.

Similar circumstances pertain to PCs such as 1.2 - must be questioned. 2.6 - must be one or more of observed, simulated or questioned and 3.5 - again marked with triple '*'. These elements are noted on the Portfoio, in AW briefing notes and belaboured at AW briefings. If even Captain Narcoleptic* here ( Andy ) can stay conscious long enough to get this, no other AW has any excuse.

Again - absolutely no issue with Limulus; he brought up a valid point. In my view DMQ have made things as clear as possible for AW's in terms of what is required. My gripe is with the few AW's still not on message.:old:

* I kid you not! :zzz:

No offence taken at all, I thoroughly enjoyed the level 2 process.
Despite it being in bold I still missed it and my aw didnt give any indication that they were questions that had to be asked, but in fainess to him I think mine was his first of the 'new' fornat (never having seen the old format im not aware that a similar section is included) that hed done.

Back