Due to problems with the family all of my stalking of late has been roe only, I have been using my 223 for this and was running a bit low on ammo. I have had a couple of boxes of mil’ surplus FMJ ammo’ in the cabinet that have been there for years.
. Instead of just shooting them off at targets for the sake of it I decided to see if I could make something for deer/fox from them.
I pulled the 55gn FMJ bullets and replaced them with Hornady ballistic tips set 0.020” of the lands, other than that I did nothing else with them.
Here is my first 5 shot group with them, there is some vertical stringing with them, which no doubt would have been less if I had used a range bag under the stock, but nether the less the accuracy is plenty good enough for most field conditions.
1” squares on target. This rifle has proven capable of shooting ¼” groups with good ammo in the past.