Thread: hornady brass/primer pocket size

hornady brass/primer pocket size

Hi All, i have 100 hornady once fired cases all been re-sized and trimmed and tumbled but the primer pockets when de-primed seam to have like a small ring of brass inside only very thin but when i try to re-prime them the primers wont go in because they so tight, last night i broke the hand primer, has anyone else had these issues with hornady brass,and is there a tool to widen them up or will this make a risk of primers popping out when fired, replies most welcome

Sounds like crimped in primers such as encountered of military brass. What exactly was the original loading of these cases?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

they were 150 grain, .308 btsp interlocks, spoke to mike at calton moor and he has noticed the same on some of there hornady brass

If it is crimped in primers the crimp can easily be removed. I wouldn't have expected crimped in primers on such a load but who knows such things do happen.
    Have a look in your reloading manual it should explain it much clearer than I can and how to remove it easily. I simply run my internal chamfer tool in the top of the primer pocket to remove such crimps but you can buy tools specifically intended for the job.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

hi 8 x 57, thanks for the reply, they are not crimped think this is with the match grade brass as it says 308 match on base of the case, going to try and order a pocket uniformer in the morning to see if it brings the size back to standard, thanks Dean