Thread: Shotgun re-blue ?

Shotgun re-blue ?

I have a yearning to reproduce my first ever shotgun, a Webley Bolt Action .410
    Not really sure why, but I do, I have found a few but they are not what you could call in as new condition.
    I can cope with refinishing the beech stock, but the metalwork is beyond me.
    So I need somebody in the southeast who can reproduce the high lustre bluing that Webley were so well known for.
    I have found a fairly good one as a basis, so has anybody got any ideas of who I go to for the work ?

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Doesn't Leechy have a good bluing contact? And before you say it - I know - but I had to mention it. Failing that, Blue Titanium Cerakote with a gloss finish......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Funnily enough the Webley I found is at his shop, we spoke yesterday about refinishing it.
    He does blacking, and has a bloke who does best rust blueing, but nobody who can duplicate the
    original highly polished and deeply blued finish, which I assume is a chemical type thing ?
    I did think of Cerakote but would prefer the proper thing if at all possible.

Cerakote can duplicate bluing in a form much the same as Duracoat, I've done dozens over the years. But like anything, hit it, scratch it hard enough and you'll mark it, just like bluing.

James, coating is an option, and will be the way I go if I can't get exactly what I want.
    If I go with a coating and then change my mind in the future, can it be removed and be blued ?
    If it can, then I am much more likely to start with a coating, Durakote or Ceracote whichever you recommend as being the best.