Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fracking - what does SD think?

Fracking - what does SD think?

The question is posed in the title.

Do we perceive damage to the deer population, the environment, the land or our gas bills?

I am conflicted on this, having seen good and bad in the USA.
    Last edited by charadam; 22-12-2013 at 02:32.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

We need nuclear power. It's not popular but it is clean and efficient. And it works in the dark and on still days......

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

More to the point WTF does this have to do with 'Ammunition, reloading & ballistics'?
    We need nuclear power. It's not popular but it is clean and efficient. And it works in the dark and on still days......
    Tell that to the 3 Mile island, Chernobyl, Fukishima etc etc residents - Clean, yeah right, uninformed is closer to the reality.
    Worth looking up the number of melt down & partial melt down accidents that there have been since the 50's.
    'Clean' would not be a word used with nuclear electricity production if you bothered to look at the facts.
    Would love to see some figures about how 'efficient' it is too, my guess is that it is only 'advertising'.

actually we need a balance of ALL energy sources.

Nuclear IS clean. Just look at Hiroshima. 2 earthquakes and a sunami and it STILL dis not melt down....prety good record I would say. Yes when it goes wrong it has a huge affect...but so does everything. Coal and gas just pumps c02 into the environment 24/7!!

Though nuclear is not the answear alone. We need Gas turbine, wind, solar, hydro. They all have benefits and most importantly to appreciate is that they all have dis-advantages.

The main trouble we in the UK experience is the "not on my doorstep" response.
    People want power, but don't want to have a turbine in the fields around their houses!
    Just think back to when the Grid was being installed. People did not want the pylons in the they are just a thing that no one bats an eylid too. The same will be said of wind turbines in the next generation.

The UK power network is will see far more micro generation projects. It is my estimate that in 20 years time we will be generating power on a much more local level. Community generation projects. This way the local community will invest and get return on energy.

As for fracking - yes! We already do it in the UK, and have been for some years. The methane in water is a nonsense. The videos you have seen on you tube are from an area that ALREADY had methane in tap water. This is just media hype.

At the moment in the UK we have coal stations and nuclear stations coming to the end of their working life. Add to that the fact that 10% of our energy is already generated from gas, this is estimated to have to rise to 40% by 2020. Now it becomes apparent just how fragile our power in this country is! All it takes is one fall out with Russia and they can "turn down" our gas supply valve.....Now you can see why fracking is needed.

Is fracking the answear - NO! There is not ONE answear....we need a balance of ALL types of energy.....People need to relise this and learn to accept the hydro projects, wind farms and gas turbines that NEED to be built SOMEWHERE and pretty damned quick!

As an electrical engineer....this is kind of a subject that is close to my heart.
    Last edited by scubadog; 22-12-2013 at 11:29.

For anyone interested here is an interesting real time page showing the UK grid demand and sources.

One thing that some people just don't realise is just how close we re to mass blackouts.
    The controllers at national grid do a fantastic job of balancing the grid.
    It is estimated that we only have 10 seconds of stored power in the turbines and generators before mass blackout occurs.....

"More to the point WTF does this have to do with 'Ammunition, reloading & ballistics'?" I was thinking exactly the same Joe.

There was a very interesting debate on the radio recently regarding fracking with the case for fracking put by a very learned scientist. It certainly looks to have some merit. My own view is that we need to look at a range of options with the Severn barrage being one that has to be an absolute must. It would be absolutely criminal not to build the barrage even if it only produces 8% of the energy needs of the country and not the 10% or 12% that it was originally said it would produce.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Like that gridwatch link Scubadog- nicking that for science lessons

Apologies for posting in the wrong part of the forum.

I didn't realise until this morning at which point Admin had moved it.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

So it seems that cancers and death caused by radiation, whether by accident or design is regarded as 'clean', that is truly amazing - talk about head in the sand.
    The Northern hemisphere has been polluted by man with his 'radioactive' experiments since 1945 and every one still thinks it is safe and 'clean'.
    It has been proven time and time again that there is nothing 'safe' about the production of electricity by nuclear means, man really does not have the control or long term 'sight' necessary for this type of generation, let alone any real consideration for decommissioning the worn out plants to disposing of the spent fuel - you know 'oh chuck it in that cooling pond for 50000 years, it'll be ok' hows that working out Japan?
    See Fukishima and the latest reported 'leak' can anyone honestly say that this technology is really clean???

Being a dedicated hunter can sometimes suck when it comes to politics because of all the conflicts.

Whatever the case, first thing on the agenda should be to lessen the power of Brussels to control to destiny of the British economy and people!