The Wife gets a new plinker for Christmas...

MarinePMI

As they says, "Happy wife, happy life". :) Just finished putting this all together for her, and have to say I (and her) are quite pleased with the results. It handles well, and is compact enough that if she had to use it in the house, she'd have no issues (and I wouldn't have blown ear drums in the process). :) Plus, now she has something to knock over bowling pins and steel targets with...

AR-9mm.jpg

CMMG 9mm Upper
Stag stripped lower
DPMS lower parts kit
Hahn Precision magazine block adapter
Magpul MOE Angled Forend Grip, MOE Forend and MOE carbine stock
EOTech Holographic defraction sight

Last edited:
You see we've more in common than sets us apart!

The countless Christmases and Birthday I have had to put aside my SELFISH notions of buying perfume, clothes, jewellery etc and FORCED myself rifles, scopes, knives, winches, binos etc.

The main thing is not to be churlish about it and just go along with them LETTING them allow you to use the stuff OCCASIONALLY.

SACRIFICE - that's the basis of a good relationship :D

The wife is happy. We'll get it out this coming weekend (after Christmas). She initially wasn't that enthralled with it, but I have to tell you, adding the angled forend grip changed her opinion dramatically. I thought (when I saw them) that it was a bit gimmick'y, but after putting one on the carbine, it does indeed change entirely the way it handles and comes to the shoulder. Who'd a thought a $26 hunk of plastic could do that, eh? I have heard good things about these uppers (as long as they have the right buffer and a good magazine block), so I'll let you guys know how she shoots/handles...

Just out of interest - why 9mm? why not 223 etc? what sort of range are you getting with the 9mm accuratley?

Looks good, I always like the AR's and have always found them a joy to shoot.

Regards,
Gixer

I'll let Marine PMI answer.

But for 'domestic application' the shock wave and general blast from a carbine size 223 can be both disconcerting for all concerned and play havoc with interior knick-knacks ;)

I'll let Marine PMI answer.

But for 'domestic application' the shock wave and general blast from a carbine size 223 can be both disconcerting for all concerned and play havoc with interior knick-knacks ;)

Bingo. I already have several flavors of AR/LR's, and while an interesting firearm to shoot, they tend to have more tactical applications (though they perform well for varminting and predator hunting as well). I also know from first hand experience the headache (literally) using .223/5.56mm carbines can cause in enclosed spaces. (Ouch, it still hurts just thinking about it.)

I chose 9mm for two reasons; the one mentioned above and the also because feeding a 9mm semi-auto is a lot cheaper than .223, 6.5CM or .308 (and much cheaper than 6.5 Grendel, which I have been eyeballing lately).

Finally, 9mm can be had in Glaser safety slugs and other frangible rounds. If (and hopefully never) I or the wife have to use it in the house, I don't want to worry about collateral damage to a neighbor's home and the well being of its occupants. Though there is some distance between homes here, I rather not have a round cross property lines if something were to occur, and even better if it does not penetrate more than one interior or exterior wall.

Last edited:
I'm betting it will function fine....or within a quick tweak. Probably be half shot out by the time you leave the range!~Muir

Well, I took it out yesterday.

I believe the term you guys across the pond use is "I was quite chuffed.". :)

This carbine functioned like a Singer sewing machine, and never hiccupped once (not once during the first 200 rds fired yesterday). Accuracy wise it was hard to tell really, as I was shooting bowling pins and brake rotors at 35-45 yds. But it rang steel at pretty much what ever I aimed it at. Additionally, I did run it out (off hand) to 185yds and was easily ringing steel there (hanging brake rotors and brake drums).

All in all, I am very pleased with it, and think the wife will enjoy it the next time I get her out. The weight of the rifle (~7lbs) is just about right for the cartridge, making recoil non-existent and muzzle climb minimal. Finally, the noise of the 9mm in the 16in barrel was really muted quite a bit. While not quiet by any means, shooting next to someone shooting a 9mm pistol, it was very muted in comparison. Might have to run some subs through it and see how it sounds...

I would recommend the CMMG upper to anyone looking to build up a light weight, cheap-to-shoot, fun AR platform.

Fun, fun, fun! :)

Bingo. I already have several flavors of AR/LR's, and while an interesting firearm to shoot, they tend to have more tactical applications (though they perform well for varminting and predator hunting as well). I also know from first hand experience the headache (literally) using .223/5.56mm carbines can cause in enclosed spaces. (Ouch, it still hurts just thinking about it.)

I chose 9mm for two reasons; the one mentioned above and the also because feeding a 9mm semi-auto is a lot cheaper than .223, 6.5CM or .308 (and much cheaper than 6.5 Grendel, which I have been eyeballing lately).

Finally, 9mm can be had in Glaser safety slugs and other frangible rounds. If (and hopefully never) I or the wife have to use it in the house, I don't want to worry about collateral damage to a neighbor's home and the well being of its occupants. Though there is some distance between homes here, I rather not have a round cross property lines if something were to occur, and even better if it does not penetrate more than one interior or exterior wall.

Can you imagine asking your FEO for Glaser rounds on your UK FAC...... Reason - `Human Despatch - Burglars / Thieves etc when robbing my house`...... They would put you in a funny white jacket, strap you to a chair, and tranquilise you, before you said "please"......

Can you imagine asking your FEO for Glaser rounds on your UK FAC...... Reason - `Human Despatch - Burglars / Thieves etc when robbing my house`...... They would put you in a funny white jacket, strap you to a chair, and tranquilise you, before you said "please"......

LOL! Here they'd ask you "Do you want fries with those Glasers?" (or "chips" as you guys call them). :)

Interesting rig PMI!

Do you run other chambered ARs?

I've often thought a heavy barrelled .243W or 22-250 chambered would be a fun foxing / 'yote rig.

ATB,

Scrummy

Running .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor AR/LR's.

Been eyeballing a 6.5 Grendel lately, but not sure I can deal with the cost of the brass in a semi-auto.

Back