Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set triggers

Set triggers

hi,just wanted to know how you fellas feel with regards to set triggers on a stalking rifle.what do you think are the pro,s and con,s.
    thanks the scudd

I almost always use set trigger. Much better accuracy, especially if you shoot off sticks.

Hi scudd

If you are familiar with the workings of your own rifle and confident in how to make it safe once set etc.. i dont think there is a negative if its your choice..

Caution with a new pair of thick gloves

Or a trigger set so light its clearly dangerous..

Recon its one for your own preferances

se trigger

Got I but never use it stalking.

i have adjusted it and zeroed my rifle with it , but never use it in the field.

I never have time to..... and as 2 roe will testify yesterday, I never missed it.

would rather have a worked over normal trigger. (like i have on my other rifles)

Twin setting and normal triggers on my Steyr-Mannlicher model L. I always set the trigger before taking a shot as it gives me greater accuracy.

As has been said, if you use it then make sure you know how to unset it correctly and safely, (immediately after a non-shot). I've seen clients who thought that the correct method was to cycle the bolt, close it on an empty chanber and pull the trigger. It takes all sorts I suppose.

In days of yor when I was guiding professionally I hated the bloody things. Too many people not familiar with set triggers and just plain dangerous.
    Normal trigger with an average pull (especially if it has a soft take up on the first part of the pull) is quite OK. Some folk don't really know how to hold the rifle & squeeze off a trigger correctly

love them have them in my sako 75 and T3 .

i give anyone using them a tip ,went you set it keep your finger behind the trigger with a little forward pressure untill the last second before you want to shoot ,IE cross hairs on the kill point.

on a frosty morning or if the animal moves and you have to change position a little it will save a AD or is it a ND .

I've always used a set trigger,the action of setting the trigger has become second nature over 30 years of using high powered rifles.
    I even managed to source a set trigger for my rem 700 with which im very happy...

i have had two rifles with rifles with them on both cz and i always used them. as already stated it does become second nature and i really belive it makes for a more accurate shot

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    I had a Mauser years ago with the wretched things on. All the bells and whistles 'scope, QD claw mounts, made in Germany just before WWI I'd guess.

Couldn't find anybody - this was thirty years ago - to change out and replace the double set triggers with a standard trigger - so sold it.

I don't like them. FWIW I don't like a single stage trigger either. Except on a shot gun or pistol. I'm just odd that way.

Needs must and I'll at least accept a rifle with a single stage trigger but a double set trigger. No.