Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ruger 10/22

ruger 10/22

just woundering what your throughts were on floating a 10/22 barrel.
    theres a tight point by where the band ring is, not sure if i removed this tight spot if it would upset the rest of the rifle?
    many thanks for your advise
    atb
    simon

Muir has recommended several times on here that you should simply remove the barrel band and throw it away. Got to be worth a try Simon.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Get a copy of mark wrights 'the ultimate ruger 10/22'
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Some shoot well with the band on & some don't . You can modify the band so it doesn't touch the barrel retaining the classic look of the 10/22 .

Its shoots ok, just worried as the barrel is on the stock under where the band is.
    Just wasnt sure if I floated it there, it would create more problems

I will have a look at that book to thanks
    Atb
    Simon

Take the bad off and give it a try. I doesnt need to have it.

Mine shot OK with the band on, but a lot better with it removed. I compromised and relieved the inside of the barrel band ( I like the look ) and it's shot well ever since, about 10 yrs if I remember correctly ( doubtful lol )

AB

thanks for the advice, i will try with out, its shoots ok, just think it could be a little better
    atb
    simon

If you take off ther barrel band and look at it, you'll notice the part that hooks over the stock before the part of the band that goes around the barrel starts. Saw off the over-barrel part of the band above these "hooks" and file it flat, paint it. The band will now be in two pieces but will hold onto the stock just fine and not give it that 'stripped down' look you get when you remove the band entirely. You can now free float it or whatever with no interference from that blasted band. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    If you take off ther barrel band and look at it, you'll notice the part that hooks over the stock before the part of the band that goes around the barrel starts. Saw off the over-barrel part of the band above these "hooks" and file it flat, paint it. The band will now be in two pieces but will hold onto the stock just fine and not give it that 'stripped down' look you get when you remove the band entirely. You can now free float it or whatever with no interference from that blasted band. ~Muir
    thanks muir, i will have go. its not a bad rifle just think a few small improvements would go a long way.
    many thanks
    simon