Sporting rifle too much overseas hunting !!!!!!

Just curious as to the way Sporting Rife is going , only a couple of years ago it was more about stalking and hunting in the UK. Now it seems to be Africa and various other locations that are well out of the price bracket of most shooters . I must admit I enjoy getting some quality meat for the freezer , and don't see the sporting challenge sat over a huge dead hippo with its mouth propped open with a stick so the guy in the photo can look proud as punch . Lets get back to some UK shooting , wether it be stalking , foxing ratting with an air rifle or bunny bashing with a rimmy. All the best Joe

Totally agree, I dont buy it anymore, overpriced, and full of the same old stuff, rubbish.

I like the overseas stuff and it's not as pricey as you think I'm not rich by any means but managed to go Africa hunting twice. I don't think there's much difference posing with any trophy whether it a deer or hippo as long as it's tastefully done. Not having a bash though and can see were your coming from it does somtimes seem like a advertisement rather than a article

+2 Have to agree. Not sure who the average uk sporting rifle shooters is but have often wondered about the cost of such trips, perhaps it would be better to put the cost attached to such outings. Do have a feeling that they are out of the price bracket of most.

Kev

Cancelled my subscription after six months (18 months ago) because it's just full of the same old rubbish spieling the same old crud.

There is a need to change the upper level of management - I think we all know who, as it's a boy's club reporting on freebies.

If it wasn't bought, they'd soon look at the issues.

T

+2 Have to agree. Not sure who the average uk sporting rifle shooters is but have often wondered about the cost of such trips, perhaps it would be better to put the cost attached to such outings. Do have a feeling that they are out of the price bracket of most.

Kev

Kev,

They don't care, it's paid for by the sponsors (manufacturers / agents etc) which is why you'll never see a bad review of any gear!!!

t

I had a subscription for a year but won't renew it as it is just the same old stuff. I suppose from there point of view there is always new people to rifle sports so they always have an audience. I just buy the shooting times now at least it's pretty current being weekly and you can have a chuckle at the letters!

I agree but still buy it to read! What really bites my kahunas is the constant referral to brands of equipment which im sure for the majority of us a bit out of our price range

Like many have said I used to have a subscription but never renewed it as it was the same stuff every issue - one massive advertisement !

What is also really getting on my nerves is reading 'articles' that I have previoulsy watched on the shooting show. I know its the same people but even the articles are not new when this is the case.

Kev

I like many used to buy it but not any longer, you get better articles on this site and when you read them on here they dont keep banging on about their sponsored kit.
Its a couple of years now since i had a copy but every month it was the same old same old.

I normally get a read of my mates copy, but he says it's a bit repetitive. Just let my Gun Mart subscription lapse as it the same every month.

If this was a reply of Sporting rifle, it would now say good post read through my D&G framed specsaver glasses @ £150 on my Sony Vario laptop @£699.

That's why I stopped reading the crap magazine years ago

I buy the "Field "much more my line of shooting really and at just over £4 well worth it !:D

Me too and then dream about the properties and sporting estates for sale in front pages - If only those pesky numbers would come up on a multiple roll-over !

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Kev,

They don't care, it's paid for by the sponsors (manufacturers / agents etc) which is why you'll never see a bad review of any gear!!!

t

No good to them if they lose alot of customers and interest goes out the door = end of magazine and business!!
They need to wake up about the price too - bit steep and i for one will buy another mag!!

Back