BEST ALL ROUND .270 bullet for foxing and deer .

Anyone had a bullet in .270 that they ve found to be both effective for both deer and fox use. I feel some of the heavier bullets drop quite considerably , although I do enjoy shooting the 130 grain bullets . All the best Joe.

That's interesting , does it do major meat damage ? Will have to give them a crack , or perhaps load up twenty and give them a blast on the range , many thanks swarovski , all the best Joe.

Actually at equal velocity heavier bullets drop less as they have a superior ballistic co-efficient because of their longer length. Gravity being acting equally on all items regardless of their mass.

130 grain isn't a bad bullet for the 270 Winchester. I think that maybe Winchester about got it right some seventy plus years ago but I favour 150 grain at a slower velocity and others favour the all-around 140 grain option.

But for fox at long range the real requirement is accuracy. One minute of fox isn't very tall unless you take them when they are sitting. In theory a 150 grain bullet zeroed at something like 225 yards will hit fox anywhere out to 275 yards if you hold dead centre.

That is it will rise nor fall more than four and a half inches above or below the aiming point on the reticule. Same with the guidances for zero on many early 'scoped sniper rifles. Set that zero and if you aim for the centre of the face you'll hit your man somewhere in his head.

110 grain vmax work very well on deer and foxes. They do not cause major meat damage when placed in the right spot, Ive used them on all species of deer to very good effect. My mate uses factory Remington 100 grain rounds that are as good and he shoots red and sika with them.

I'm using 110gr V Max for foxing too (though not deer).

1" high at 100 yards is 1" low at 205 yards out of my Sako A7.

Actually at equal velocity heavier bullets drop less as they have a superior ballistic co-efficient because of their longer length. Gravity being acting equally on all items regardless of their mass.

but it is almost impossible to run the 150's at 3100fps to replicate the factory 130gr load......i've tried!
couldn't replicate the drops out of a standard 23.5" barrel

I'm using 110gr V Max for foxing too (though not deer).
1" high at 100 yards is 1" low at 205 yards out of my Sako A7.

should be flatter than that, no?
1" 0 and 6-7" at 100, 200 and 300 is standard

Never seen a fox not go down with a heavier bullet, in the scheme of things I think your better of just sticking with what your using and just know where its going at the distance your likely to be shooting over, i was contemplating the same thing with my 7mm rem mag but 150s out of that just work great on everything out to 300 which is far enough for me.

130 grain isn't a bad bullet for the 270 Winchester. I think that maybe Winchester about got it right some seventy plus years ago but I favour 150 grain at a slower velocity and others favour the all-around 140 grain option.

But for fox at long range the real requirement is accuracy. One minute of fox isn't very tall unless you take them when they are sitting. In theory a 150 grain bullet zeroed at something like 225 yards will hit fox anywhere out to 275 yards if you hold dead centre.

That is it will rise nor fall more than four and a half inches above or below the aiming point on the reticule. Same with the guidances for zero on many early 'scoped sniper rifles. Set that zero and if you aim for the centre of the face you'll hit your man somewhere in his head.
no bc advantages at stalking range shots, text book heart and lungshot only ribs take a bashing, no meat there to damage, if you shoot it in the shoulder it will wreak it

I used 110gr v max in my old 30 06, was a varget load doing 3440fps, bang on at 100yds dropped 10 inches at 300yds,they would group around 1 inch at 300yds too,150gr bullet drops 13 inches, not a great difference

I used 110gr v max in my old 30 06, was a varget load doing 3440fps, bang on at 100yds dropped 10 inches at 300yds,they would group around 1 inch at 300yds too,150gr bullet drops 13 inches, not a great difference

I suspect the on target result would be pretty spectacular? :)

should be flatter than that, no?
1" 0 and 6-7" at 100, 200 and 300 is standard

Not sure to be honest - what do you think?

As far as i've tested with the 110gr V Max, and being as accurate as field conditions allow i'm:

+1" at 100 yards
0 at 180 yards
-1" at 205 yards
-2" at 225 yards
-3" at 245 yards
-4" at 255 yards

If the above's not in line with conventional thinking, is this due to a short (20") barrel I wonder...?

Would love to chrono things and get a better idea!

There seems to be the assumption here that you reload but in case that's not the case I use SAKO hammerheads 156gr they are absolutely spot on & kill everything from big red stags & boar down to munties & roe with negligible difference between them & the federal fashion 130gr I use for foxing in mine! No fox has ever complained which I'd used on him it's just that the federals are a lot cheaper than the SAKO's.

As far as i've tested with the 110gr V Max, and being as accurate as field conditions allow i'm:

+1" at 100 yards
0 at 180 yards
-1" at 205 yards
-2" at 225 yards
-3" at 245 yards
-4" at 255 yards

If the above's not in line with conventional thinking, is this due to a short (20") barrel I wonder...?

factory details
admittedly a little higher at 100 but flat at 200 and only -6 at 300
could be a little slow with a short barrel I suppose. not worth worrying about

Sighting distance in yardsHeight of trajectory above line of sight if sighted in at X yards. For sights 1,6 inch above bore
50100150200300 yds
500.70.4-1.1-7.6
100-0.3-0.7-2.4-9.6
150-0.10.4-1.5-8.3
2000.31.21.2-6.4

+1" at 100 yards
0 at 180 yards
-1" at 205 yards
-2" at 225 yards
-3" at 245 yards
-4" at 255 yards

Using the ballistic program on the Norma website to back-calculate, with the scope at 2.6" above the bore-line these data suggest MV of about 2800fps.

factory details
admittedly a little higher at 100 but flat at 200 and only -6 at 300
could be a little slow with a short barrel I suppose. not worth worrying about

Sighting distance in yardsHeight of trajectory above line of sight if sighted in at X yards. For sights 1,6 inch above bore
50100150200300 yds
500.70.4-1.1-7.6
100-0.3-0.7-2.4-9.6
150-0.10.4-1.5-8.3
2000.31.21.2-6.4
most factory ammo shoots slower than exaggerated figures on the boxes, mine were maxload at 3440 fps is flying along, chronying faster than data

Back