High seat quality / recommendations

ive got one there ok, but the shooting rail is way too low ,i altered mine

I think most metal ready made seats are far inferior to a self made wooden seat. The wooden ones require less maintenance generally and when they do need maintenance it's relatively easy to do.

I think a seat like the one you've posted would not remain in decent nick for more than a season, at most two.

I have one, it's been repainted and reinforced. As said above the rest is far too low unless you want to put it at the top of a bank!!

I think most metal ready made seats are far inferior to a self made wooden seat. The wooden ones require less maintenance generally and when they do need maintenance it's relatively easy to do.

I think a seat like the one you've posted would not remain in decent nick for more than a season, at most two.

Not sure about that. There was one of these left by the previous stalker on my little patch. I decided to take it down last year in order to renovate it and was unlatching the retaining strap when it bent in half with me half way up the ladder. My eldest daughter was assisting me and I kept telling her to keep it pressed against the tree as I thought it was simply coming away from the tree, unaware that it had snapped in the centre due to corrosion. It was a bit like a Buster Keaton sketch with her holding the bottom half of the ladder tight against the tree and me moving further away from it. I landed up throwing it in the scrap bin but the high seat was ten years old and had been left outside for all that time.

The Sportsman Gun Centre currently have a special offer on these, buy four and get one free. Doesn't sound like a bad offer if you and a couple of mates get together on this.

Another question I have regarding high seats, what is classed as 'high' some advertised are only 2.5-3M from the ground is this sufficient? Would love to make one from wood but ideally for me I would like a mobile telescopic style one. Appreciate that for a high quality one though it wont be cheap.

Another question I have regarding high seats, what is classed as 'high' some advertised are only 2.5-3M from the ground is this sufficient? Would love to make one from wood but ideally for me I would like a mobile telescopic style one. Appreciate that for a high quality one though it wont be cheap.

Again, PM Mereside... I'm going to put my name down for one of these in the New Year

Hi, I have made a few from wood. Which cost me around about £50 plus my labour. But made it to suit me.

I have attached high seat plan details.

Hope this is of use.

imagejpeg

Back