Reloading starting point

hi all and happy xmas. what sort of ball park figure would you be looking at to set up for home loading? sorry to hijack but seemed relevant to the op.

thanks Ade

ah. this is getting interesting.... thought it would be much more than this. you may well be hearing from me in the new year 1967spud.

thanks Ade

I've got a press,powder measure,reloading book,beam scale and some other bits and bobs.
what calibre are you looking to reload as I have some spare dies as well.

cheers Steve.

Last edited:
First of all, an apology to Spud, no offence intended, but whilst Lee do some good kit, several of the items in their Anniversary kit are a complete waste of time... that said the Auto Prime is great, so too are their length gauge/lock stud/cutter set ups (especially with the ball handle on the cutter), collet full length sizing die (especially for cases like 22 Hornet with thin tapered necks) but never found their dies much cop and their use of white metal in the press components means sooner or later you'll break something.

Pick any of the main reloading gear manufacturers, RCBS, Speer, etc and buy a manual (I bought the Speer one years back) and sit down and read the complete methodology. Put the book down for a couple of weeks and then pick it up and read it all again! After second reading you'll understand things a lot more. Don't feel ashamed to go back and read all or part of it again at any stage either - the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask!

Take note of the message about starting loads and max loads - work within your limits to start with and don't take as gospel anything you read on the internet! In time you can progress to getting reloading ballistic software such as QuickLOAD and develop your own data.

After many years of trial and error, my basic kit now is a Lyman 'O' press, Redding dies, Lee auto prime, lee length gauge & cutter, RCBS chamfer tool, Stoney Point (now Hornady i think) OAL gauge and modified cases, Lyman beam scales, Redding powder trickler, Lyman No55 powder measure (was one for sale on classifieds a few days back?) & Mitutoyo digital vernier.

You can spend a fortune on the latest must have 'thingamabob' but far better to chat to people who already reload and see what they use regularly - they'll all have stuff in their reloading box that got used once but it's the things they use regularly that are worth buying.

As you get more into the religion that is reloading the more you will understand and push the boundaries.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Last edited:
First of all, an apology to Spud, no offence intended, but whilst Lee do some good kit..... their use of white metal in the press components means sooner or later you'll break something.
/QUOTE]

In the interest of fairness, Sinclair International's Bench Rest C-frame press is made of aluminum as well.~Muir

Back