Gary Barlow Visit To Camp Bastion

jamross65

Anyone watch the TV programme last night about Gary Barlow's visit to Camp Bastion?

regardless of what you think of him or his music, the morale boost and enjoyment the small concert he put on brought to the troops there could not be denied. There was a short mention of the planning that went into getting him out there lasting months.

The faces of the boys and girls watching and singing along was unbelievably moving. Their hand written notes to families and lived ones back home spoke volumes.

I have never really had an opinion on Gary Barlow prior to this but he is now right up there for doing what he did, and the buzz it brought to those who managed to watch it happening and those that took part.

The shot during the concert of a sentry on parade was enough to remind you what was still going on around the camp. Even more so when my youngest asked why he wasn't at the concert listening as well...

The bit at the end when he was at the poppy wreath and monument - The words written on it, said it all!

Was a good program overall.

The bit at the end when he was at the poppy wreath and monument - The words written on it, said it all!

Was a good program overall.

Yes, they do Paul...

The bit that got me was the troops writing notes to their kids, telling them how much they loved them and holding them up to the camera. With kids of my own, I had tears in my eyes at that and for one wish it would be to have them all home tomorrow, just for that one day with their families...

The bit that got me was the troops writing notes to their kids, telling them how much they loved them and holding them up to the camera. With kids of my own, I had tears in my eyes at that and for one wish it would be to have them all home tomorrow, just for that one day with their families...
It was filmed a few weeks ago. I was at a friend's house party two nights ago with a lady who was stood in the front row! She's been home a month now although obviously plenty of them sadly aren't. It's going to cost her a crate or two for being on tv though that's for sure!

Not a big fan of GB but my hat is off to him for doing the gig :tiphat: Wife's mad on him cost me a few bob over the years on shows :doh:.
but that show change my mind looks to be a very nice lad well done Mr B. The poignant ending was a choker[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

HAPPY XMAS TO ALL OUR SERVING FOLKS. HEADS DOWN AND BE SAFE
[/FONT]:british:

Safe and Merry Christmas to troops out there I've spent 3 Christmases now in Iraq and afghan so got some catching up I'll have a drink tomorrow for you boys will be my genuine pleasure

Safe and Merry Christmas to troops out there I've spent 3 Christmases now in Iraq and afghan so got some catching up I'll have a drink tomorrow for you boys will be my genuine pleasure

You enjoy it mate....

I have worked a lot of Christmas days, and probably 24 of the last 29 Hogmanays. Good to be at home with family for a change...

I watched with a tear in my eye I have friends out there and I enjoyed the program I am proud to know people who do those jobs,
gr1ffer glad your home safe and have a great christmas and if you ever want a weekend away stalking give us a pm I would be happy to have you out for a weekend on the reds, my friends are not into stalking as it too much like work but love to be out in the fields on pigeons.atb wayne

Excellent television I thought. At this time of year we should all spare a thought to those working away from their families, especially those in the forces and this programme hit the spot. Very moving.

As for Gary Barlow, being several decades older than him, his music isn't my first choice, but even so is pretty good, thankfully as the wife and daughter both are into him. If you compare him to some of his contemporaries, even his band mates in Take That, he stands out in a positive manner.

Brian thanks mate enjoy your Christmas with your family we will catch up soon

Mereside what a incredibly kind offer it's guys like you that make our country great

Merry Christmas stalking directory

I watched with a tear in my eye I have friends out there and I enjoyed the program I am proud to know people who do those jobs,
gr1ffer glad your home safe and have a great christmas and if you ever want a weekend away stalking give us a pm I would be happy to have you out for a weekend on the reds, my friends are not into stalking as it too much like work but love to be out in the fields on pigeons.atb wayne
:tiphat:

Camp Bastion is full of nothing but morale of the highest calibre. I think they all find it when they visit the Pizza Hut or the Spar shop that's there.
It's all very good having ''famous'' people go to Bastion and put on shows but their doing it for the wrong people. Everyone on Bastion has cooked meals all day everyday on a camp that is safer than Butlins. You can actually get points on you licence for driving too fast there.
The lads out in the forward operating bases and patrol bases are the guys that need morale. Living off 7 year old ration boxes is no fun. Theres something drastically wrong when your chocolate has turned grey.
BUT, good effort to Barlow and all others that take time out of their busy lives to get them selves out there and show support.

Camp Bastion is full of nothing but morale of the highest calibre. I think they all find it when they visit the Pizza Hut or the Spar shop that's there.
It's all very good having ''famous'' people go to Bastion and put on shows but their doing it for the wrong people. Everyone on Bastion has cooked meals all day everyday on a camp that is safer than Butlins. You can actually get points on you licence for driving too fast there.
The lads out in the forward operating bases and patrol bases are the guys that need morale. Living off 7 year old ration boxes is no fun. Theres something drastically wrong when your chocolate has turned grey.
BUT, good effort to Barlow and all others that take time out of their busy lives to get them selves out there and show support.

Some thing never seem to change. REMF's always got the best. In my day the only time we used to see them out and about was when a TV crew turned up.
Don't worry about the chocolate mate...just get it down your neck, it won't kill you :british:

ATB

Some thing never seem to change. REMF's always got the best. In my day the only time we used to see them out and about was when a TV crew turned up.
Don't worry about the chocolate mate...just get it down your neck, it won't kill you :british:

ATB

Ha. I'm glad someone here knows how it is. I thought the next comment might of been something along the lines of ''grumpy *******''

Have a good day.

:old:old git here in 1977 we had 1950 R packs with AB Biscuits!! (stands for Always Broken) and Chichen Supreme cat sick and hard crackers hmmm makes me feel blocked up just thinking of it !!. We used to raid the Yanks For the Issue Vietnam MRE's top grub!! best thing we had was boiled sweets and Nestles Chocolate. Oh and players fags in a tin !! my choice was cold
beans and crisps banjo's and cold brewed tea?? i knew how to live in them days :thumb:

Everyone on Bastion has cooked meals all day everyday on a camp that is safer than Butlins.
If it's safer than Butlins you need to change your holiday venue James. There's a reason why us soldiers have to carry our rifles around with us 24/7 even when at Bastion! Not sure how you're going to be able to put on a decent show at any of the fobs though or hit a big enough audience to make it worth while. Even when they put on these shows at Bastian plenty of people are working and can't go to them. Unfortunately I was always in their number working to keep the helicopters flying!
However I hear what you're saying.
Baguio

I know guys, some are member on here like Gr1ffer, and my brother in law who left the Pathfinders a few years ago after extensive operations in the Middle East who would likely never have got the chance perhaps to see something like this because of the work they were doing. It takes all sorts to make an army, and one cannot operate without the other...

Back