Thread: Bloody Spaniel

Bloody Spaniel

Had a Boxing Day walk out today for a pheasant or 2. There were several of us so a few walking and a couple standing was the form.

First drive was a flush off a small pond. I thought it would be empty as it seemed frozen but there was forever of mallard and teal on there, probably in excess of 200. A few were dropped so off to a good start.

Any how the next drive was a push through a long thin I was walking with my 2 spaniels. (both 10 yrs old I might add). As we approached the end of the wood a bird lifted and curled back over me, I hit it second barrel and Tilly went for it. She disappeared into a ditch and I waited but no sign. We were only 40m or so from the end of the wood so we finished the drive as I assumed she was tracking a runner. Still no sign tho and I got concerned. I walked back down the wood, by now convinced she must be stuck on a fence. I heard a dog wailing in the distance but it sounded very far away. No sign anywhere and I started walking back up the wood. A mate called me as he had heard the howling and walked into the wood, he was convinced the dog was underground. The pics tell the rest of the story;

She had gone down a disused fox hole, presumably after the bird!! We never did get the pheasant

well done for getting the dog back.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

The dig will have burnt off a couple of those mince pies.

The things we do for our dogs, eh?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Did you just watch and take pictures whilst your mate did all the digging?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Did you just watch and take pictures whilst your mate did all the digging?
    No the opposite was true. He wanted to get the glory at the last minute!! I also had to rollock him for jumping into the hole. On other hand got on a lot quicker with his and Rods help!!

Well done - great relief all round. Had similar with my previous cocker, except I saw her disappear down the hole. With my arm in up to the arm pit, I could just get a my hand on her and she still had the pheasant in her mouth as I dragged her out.