STUCK FAST ( chokes )

Dip the end of the barrel in boiling water, followed by a firm twist with a decent choke key.
If that fails a good gunsmith is the best hope for removal without any damage.

Neil. :)

Just seen another thread something simular about putting barrel in freezer , but chest freezer not deep enough i will keep trying if all fails its off to the shop. Doug

I would suggest keep trying a release oil like WD40 or maybe AC90 but try not to get too much on the outside of the barrel, or have you tried bore gel on it to see if that loosens them?

you could try freezing the barrels. then pour boiling water over the barrels (choke end) without getting water inside for about 10 secs. this should expand the barrel and leave the choke cold. Try to remove before the temperature equalises.

Put the chokes in a tin full of diesel make sure their full submerged leave them over night if that fails leave them a few days. Normally works well, if not try boiling water.

Dont squash the barrels in a vice if your holding them in one and use a good quality choke key.

Thanks to everybody for responces but it looks like a shop job ,my own fault should have released them after last shoot, i did clean it honest. Thanks again doug.

Know a lad up my way had the same problem, Soaked end of barrels in a well known cola pop over night worked a treat but took the blueing off end of barrels

The delux Berreta key with the thread cleaner on the end has a hole through the middle. I was asked by a mate to remove a stuck choke out of his 687. He had been having a go and had taken the corners off the castelations on the choke. I soaked the ends of the barrel in plus gas for 24 hours and then put a length of 8mm allthread down the barrel. I put a piece of flat bar across the muzzle end with an 8.5mm hole in it. The allthread went through the plate and a lock nut was put on it. The Choke key was run onto the other end and a large washer/nut behind it. The nut was gently tightened to apply some decent pressure to the key and stop it from slipping. This was enough to keep the key in mesh with the choke. Once I had some purchase on the choke it came out with just the bar on the key. Choke was ruined by his early atempts though.

Ezzy

Back