Feed for .308

geoshot

I am in the process of applying for a variation to my FAC to get a .308win barrel for my Blaser.
I fancy the look of the Nosler Accubond 185gr (Federal Premium), anyone else tried them?
Geoshot

I expect the usual rants about Blasers/get a 6.5 x55/start homeloading etc and will try not to rise to the bait.

hi geoshot,i had 185grn federal in my .308 when i first had it and they seemed a bit to much through it so i dropped down to 150grn and they seem better.i dont have a moderator on it so cant say what they would shoot like with one on but with out they were a bit to much,alot more recoil.

lets twist again

What is the twist rate of the new barrell, what wieght will it like? 150gr (I reckon is about optimum in .308 win)

steve

Hi.
I read somewhere in a technical book that for .30 cals. the ultimate weight was 168 grain which is probably why a firm advertised its 168gr bullets as `National Match`.
Personally I myself have shot many, many Deer with the Speer bullet, No. 2022, 150gr SPBT.

HWH

Too Heavy

The bullets are too heavy for a 308 IMHO.

308 was designed around 150 gn pill and best loads are for that.

Varmint barrelled variants do like the sierra game king 168 HPBT, but it is a bit heavy for stalking.

The 308 has a trajecory like a rainbow at the best of times surely feeding it with a heavy bullet is going to make things worse?

My home loading has ben with lighter bullets (125GN Nosler BT) to improve trajectory, but accuracy is not there at moment. i always end up back with Federal 150 soft points.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer swampy the barrel twist is 1 in 11" by the way so maybe it should handle some of the heavier stuff ok.
Blaser themselves make their own ammo for .308 at 168gr so it looks like 150-168 is the suitable range, a 180gr seems too heavy and I don't want to go too light or its not a big enough step up from the .243.
I was just as worried about the performance of the accubond (165gr) on game. Does it do the job or is it better to use the partition ammo?

Ta again
Geoshot

308 bullet

I have used the speer spitzer 2023 from my 30-06 on roe for years, It is my favourite. With the 308 you should be able to get velocities of 2900 fps + which puts it only 100 or so behind the .30-06 so the trejectory will be ok.

that speer bullet is Very good and i would recomend it over all.

steve

I have used Norma factory 180gn and sako hammerhead 180gn in my .308 both quality ammunitions that work well in my rifle. No problem with using heavy bullets in my opinion. Speed and flat shooting aren't everything!

At great risk of starting a beaverish response, does barrel length have a part to play as well as twist rate? I would imagine a longer barrel, say 24" or more would be needed to get the best out of a heavy bullet and a big charge of powder. The Blaser is 57.7cm which is about 23" so a big heavy lump may not work, but I like your thinking Blaser 3006!

Just picked up the new barrel today, so off to Bisley soon with an assortment of ammo to give it a try out good and proper. I have a funny feeling that the .308 might just become my calibre of choice before too long.
More importantly I've got a couple of days at fallow and reds coming up which might be a better test, if I'm lucky.
regards
Geoshot

I have a 1 in 10 twist on my 308 which just
doesn't like factory 150gr loads. Loves 167 Lapua
scenars. Found out that I need to load either 165 SST's
or 165 Nos Bt's quite warm to get very good accuracy.
With 150gr heads I have to load very mild. Which means
my barrel possibly wants to run at one speed no matter
what head. So the factory 150gr just seem to fast and
group lousy. I home load to standard length.

just an idea

edi

Hi Geoshot,

no particular worries about a short bbl for me, I use a mannlicher pro mountain in 308 with a 20" bbl.

The 180gn read 2550fps over the chrono which is the same as the Blaser in .30-06. It just happens to be a fluke that the best loads for both rifles are the same speed but they are loaded for best accuracy/ grouping. Nice to have same ballistics in two rifles,
I also load up 130gn sp in the .308 as well. Have to work up some loads for the 130gns to go through the 30 06.

Gerry

geoshot said:
Just picked up the new barrel today, so off to Bisley soon with an assortment of ammo to give it a try out good and proper. I have a funny feeling that the .308 might just become my calibre of choice before too long.
More importantly I've got a couple of days at fallow and reds coming up which might be a better test, if I'm lucky.
regards
Geoshot

Geoshot, how did you get on?

i picked up my .308 blaser last thursday which has never shot a factory round, i was given some homeloads 125gn ballistic tip which grouped ok. i've just tried wincheter soft points 150gn, which seem to hit the same spot first one out from cold/dirty (thats the important one) but i havent got it to group lower than 1.5" yet at 100m

any suggestions blaser friendly factory ammo? .308 calibre.

i've got 3 normas i was given on my desk waiting to try on the way home, but they are 3mm shorter than the winchesters, and 5.5mm shorter than the homeloads.

norma = 66mm
winchester = 69mm
homeloads = 71.5mm (thats as long as fit in the mag)

I wouldn't worry about cartridge length, most rifles are built to
shoot well at SAAMI length. I've seen a few rifles shoot the stuby lapua mega 150gr really well. Funny my 308 never liked 150gr factory stuff, also the 150gr remington SP shot 1.5" but with a moderator it was 1/2".
Also maybe try 165gr and 180gr. Them germans like heavy heads for the
piggies.
edi

Hi Bucksden,
Was down at Bisley yet again today, been trying an assortment of ammo since I got the new barrel and the Blaser definitely seems to prefer Norma 150gr Ballistic tips. Today was a bit windy, well it was more like a bl**dy gale, we even had thunder, but the Norma still grouped .75". Can't wait to try it in the calm and dry.
Federal ballistic tips grouped 1" or thereabouts but the R93 is supposed to be a .75" or less rifle, Prvi Partisan 150gr SP looked promising (one group was just bigger than a 5p) but one in five or six rounds would be a flyer, plus I had one break up badly in a doe. Don't think I'll use them again, though they are dead cheap.
Think I'll stick with the Norma, I don't homeload so I can't fine tune, but I think it would be hard to beat the ballistic tip that I tried today.
What it will do in the deer hopefully I'll find out soon.
Best regards
Geoshot

I would thoroughly recommend Sako 123gr .308 as an excellent factory ammo. I have used them for a large amount of deer from Roe to Reds and have found them to be brilliant.

Back