Right chaps, I'm looking into low mag scopes for my combi gun. As before I'd like to shoot it with open sights, but I'd like the option of a low mag quick release scope for it too. I can't afford a S&B, Zeiss etc so I'm looking at going cheaper. I need some advice on what's good! I think the best way is to list them with my opinion, then you can just point out your favourite and put me right!
1. Simmons 8 point 1.5-5x32. Retails at about £80, Ramsbottoms has them for £30 ATM. I was considering it, but deep down I know the answer to this question already!
2. Barska Huntmaster pro 1.5-6x42. Found one for £75. I've heard of Barska but can't remember whether it was good or bad. Don't know about this one?
3. MTC Mamba 1.5-6x42 Illuminated. These are about £120. I know MTC are rated as reasonable so this is a serious contender.
4. Vortex Crossfire 1.5-4x32. Again about £120. My Vortex Viper binoculars are very good for the cost - nearly as good as my mates Swarovski! I'm seriously considering this one too.
5. Pentax Gameseeker 1.5-6x40. About £135. Well Pentax cameras are good so the optics should be clear. Didn't even know they made scopes! Nice crosshair.
6. Swift Premier 1.5-4.5x32. About £150. Getting towards the top end of my budget with this one. I've heard of Swift but again can't remember good or bad!
Deep down I'm set between the MTC, Pentax and the Swift because they have a nice crosshair. I'd like the Vortex but it has a weird reticule! The MTC is longer and has a 30mm tube so I'd have to buy new mounts. The Swift or Pentax look to be favourite but I'm open to advice (or rather looking for it!).