Rifle Calibres-Discussion, not argument..

MattyD

Just been reading past threads, (Bored) and one thing that sticks in my mind is the amount of discussion on calibres/ factory/custom/Wildcat.. etc..etc.
Having shot factory calibres for 20 years, .22lr,Hornet, 243, 6.5 x 55... I have never thought I needed a wildcat/bespoke/modified calibre, to do any work that I could do with a factory calibre. Just to be concise, I do specifically calibre, not rifle.
I have also had decent brands, rolled my own ammo and shoot at normal stalking ranges on high and low ground.

Now, please would some of you disclose the thought process behind your decisions to go 'Different' ?

I'm not looking to knock you, merely understand... and please explain why a factory calibre wasn't suitable if applicable.

Go for it.

Matty

Because because because because because...because of the wonderful things they does. :D

And because they can of course!

Ive recently re barreled my t3v in 25 06 into 6.5 06, it was more of a fun experiment really, got no complaints with 25 06, its an excellent calibre, wanted something i could use for stalking,foxing and a good 1000 yarder, it turns out its exceeded my expectations and can't see no reason why when the barrel is shot out I will have another exactly the same again, its an awesome calibre and can't understand why it isnt more popular.

Last edited:
Ive recently re barreled my t3v in 25 06 into 6.5 06, it was more of a fun experiment really, got no complaints with 25 06, its an excellent calibre, wanted something i could use for stalking,foxing and a good 1000 yarder, it turns out its exceeded my expectations and can't see no reason why when the barrel is shot out I will have another exactly the same again, its an awesome calibre and can't understand why it isnt more popular.

Ok thanks.. So the ethos was single rifle, multi tasking..... DO you use different ammo types for each task or multi task the ammo? If you use different ammo, do you rezero for each bullet type or use target turret adjustments from notes?
Were there no factory calibres that perform that task? for example .308?

Please remember, its discussion I'm after, not argument..:lol: I'm not knocking your choice...

Because they can! pretty much the answer.... If your a hunter shooting at normal hunting distances then there isn't really any reason to choose a wildcat over a factory, other than to be different.

However, if your a shooter and enjoy the technical/ experimental aspects then its something that's fun to do. I personally enjoy getting to know a cartridge and working up loads. I have enjoyed the .22-250ai, .280ai and .375-408 (cheytac).

Because they can! pretty much the answer.... If your a hunter shooting at normal hunting distances then there isn't really any reason to choose a wildcat over a factory, other than to be different.

However, if your a shooter and enjoy the technical/ experimental aspects then its something that's fun to do. I personally enjoy getting to know a cartridge and working up loads. I have enjoyed the .22-250ai, .280ai and .375-408 (cheytac).

ok, so the passion is as much in the calibre/technical aspect, as in the stalk.. That I can understand..:thumb:

I am not really interested in that at all... I am happy with a quality piece of kit, that puts a bullet where i want it... Thats common ethics.. what ever the quarry... I am more interested in 'post kill' and time spent on the hill, rather than than the actual pulling the trigger..

Maybe that is where I missing the point.. its just another interest that goes with some peoples stalking...

That's about it Matty, I am a shooter and hunt in order to own guns, My stalking partner is a hunter and owns guns to hunt.

I use 120gr nosler ballistic tips for hunting and 142gr smks for 1000yds target shooting, the rifle is moderated when hunting and has a muzzle brake on for 1000yds,poi is 0.4 mils different on elevation at 100yds, cock on windage, its set for hunting zero and I just dial in the 1000yd elevation, 308 isnt in the same league ballisticly

Last edited:
I use 120gr nosler ballistic tips for hunting and 142gr smks for 1000yds target shooting, the rifle is moderated when hunting and has a muzzle brake on for 1000yds,poi is 0.4 mils different on elevation, cock on windage, its set for hunting zero and I just dial in the 1000yd elevation, 308 isnt in the same league ballisticly

ok cheers.. understand

Ballistically, there usually isn't much a wildcat can do that a similar factory chambering can't. I remember years back when a wildcat-crazed friend came into my shop and said he had a great idea for a wild cat: A 30-284. It would have almost the capacity of the 30-06 in a short action. As he rambled, I walked into the reloading lab and returned with a cartridge case. "7.5x55 Swiss. Circa 1889." The look on his face was priceless! Humorous story but it illustrates the point. ~Muir

My decision to go 6.5-284 and straight 284 was that I looked at what a lot of target shooters were using and thought if I can launch a bullet suitable for killing all uk species of deer from those cases it would be good. The fact that I could use lapua cases was good. The fact that the same case could be used for each round was good. Both the 6.5 and 7mm bullets have bullets of the weight range I wanted to use and had high bc. I did not want to go down the 270 route for a personal rifle merely because I didnt want my employers thinking I might use their ammo. The 6.5x47 I also considered but it was a new kid on the block at the time I got the 6.5-284

Just been reading past threads, (Bored) and one thing that sticks in my mind is the amount of discussion on calibres/ factory/custom/Wildcat.. etc..etc.
Having shot factory calibres for 20 years, .22lr,Hornet, 243, 6.5 x 55... I have never thought I needed a wildcat/bespoke/modified calibre, to do any work that I could do with a factory calibre. Just to be concise, I do specifically calibre, not rifle.
I have also had decent brands, rolled my own ammo and shoot at normal stalking ranges on high and low ground.

Now, please would some of you disclose the thought process behind your decisions to go 'Different' ?

I'm not looking to knock you, merely understand... and please explain why a factory calibre wasn't suitable if applicable.

Go for it.

Matty

You know, you could probably pick either a 6.5x55, .270 or .308 and never have a need to look at anything else for the rest of your life, for any deer or boar in the UK. Assuming appropriate bullets are used.

In fact, god forbid but if in some quirky change to legislation it was decreed that you had to use just one of those three mentioned I wouldn't give a toss. It wouldn't stop me stalking or taking deer to the ranges I'm comfortable with. However, its nice to play about a bit. Absolutely unnecessary, but it alleviates being a wee bit boring and simply staying with the norm.

Has it not always been about pushing the boundaries a little bit more that has kept calibres evolving, just to see what you can do with a rifle like the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. I chuckle every time I see similar.

We could all drive the same car to work and probably get there on time, but wouldn't life be quite dull?
Somebody quite famous once said that "Necessity is the mother of invention".
If we all accepted that what was on offer was the best there could ever be, then things would never become bettered.
Any deer legal calibre will kill deer - fact.
But... some calibres will suit one man's needs better than others. We should embrace the fact that we still have the ability to choose what we use and enjoy the privilege while it lasts.
MS

We could all drive the same car to work and probably get there on time, but wouldn't life be quite dull?
Somebody quite famous once said that "Necessity is the mother of invention".
If we all accepted that what was on offer was the best there could ever be, then things would never become bettered.
Any deer legal calibre will kill deer - fact.
But... some calibres will suit one man's needs better than others. We should embrace the fact that we still have the ability to choose what we use and enjoy the privilege while it lasts.
MS

You make some good points there MS. I fall into the category of trying out different stuff because it interests me. But in reality to save .5"-1" drop at 300yds from one chambering to the next in practical terms really doesn't put more deer in the larder or make my job easier in doing so... But as you say it would become a bit boring otherwise. Although I suspect for every one of us who likes to play about a bit or try out something new, there will be as many still using the same 270 they bought 20 years ago, and nothing wrong with that....

A lot, a big lot in fact, of today's "stock" factory cartridges were yesteryear's wildcat cartridge. Think 22-250, 243 Winchester, 280 Remington, 7mm-08 and a whole lot of others that now have the names of the large American cartridge loaders attached.

Go for it.

Matty

variety is the spice of life...however, as we say "old dogs go home to die"...hence, I bet most wildcatters, after much promiscuous debacle, eventually end up shooting some of the most traditional calibres out there like the 30-06 and 7x57.

I shoot a 308 for the Sika primarily with 150grn SP bullets. My mate used a 7mm-08 with 140grn bullets. Is there any difference worth discussing further between them in their ability to getting the job done? Nope...

my next rifle however will likely be a 6.5x47 Lapua, just because I fancy trying it... :D

Ill still ill keep the 308 as well though...:doh:

As a shooter/gun nut/keen handloader that enjoys the technical and experimental aspect of the sport playing round with wildcats seems a natural progression.
Wildcats also become a aspect when a shooter decides to go for custom rebarreling or full custon build many are chosen because they suit the needs of the shooter but are not available in factory builds
When you have a custom rifle built to your own spec why have it chambered in a run of the mill cartridge when a wildcat or an improved chambering that you have researched, suits your needs and is a bit different can be specified.

I shoot .22BR and .257 Roberts Improved, the .22BR used to be a 22-250 Ackley Improved which i choose because i wanted something very fast and flat shooting for my first custom build, which i certainly got but the trade off for all that speed (52g A-Max at 4240fps) was not quite the accuracy i wanted.
I rebarreled to .22BR after 4 years of finding out that i dont need that kind of speed and yearning for something more accurate, the .22BR fitting the bill perfectly, incredibly accurate and not to slow either at 3450fps.

Now the 257 was well researched, i wanted a calibre of 243 or bigger but not to big for varmints as i regard 25 cal as a cut off for a true varmint calibre that will also double as a deer rifle, i had already had a 243 and a 243 AI so i chose the 25 cal.
I did not want to use the long '06 case and there was not a lot of info on .25"s built on the 308 case but the 257 Roberts was mentioned alot in all 25 cal related info i was reading.
I then read about the 257 Ackley Improved being cited as one of Ackleys best developements so i looked a bit deeper and everything i read about this cartridge told me that this is the cartridge for me, the rest is history:D

Ian.

Back