Moon Phase

Boghossian

Not sure if this has been covered before - but what are your thoughts on the moon phase affecting deer movement?

Do you find that a full moon makes stalking more difficult?

Gabriel

Moonphase

I can't really say I have noticed it much here in NE Scotland. However, I have experienced considerable roe movement during the period of a waxing to full moon whilst sitting up a high seat in Germany waiting for wild boar. It may be as a result of the feeding stations in the forest that attract the roe but during the period of one evening in December last year, from 7pm to midnight, on three occasions I recall small family groups of roe comming to the clearings to feed. No doubt they do so when there is a new moon too, perhaps.

I definitely find that during a fullish moon and clear nights daytime/morning activity is less in most of the species I hunt. Always look forward to a morning after a dark preferably wet night.

I agree

am said:
I definitely find that during a fullish moon and clear nights daytime/morning activity is less in most of the species I hunt. Always look forward to a morning after a dark preferably wet night.

Me too. Looking back through the diary, stalking after a full moon or bright night always resulted in the hours out/deer shot record taking a hammering.

They've already eaten. Why would they not be couched down?

now ive been comparing the moon with movements of the red deer on patch and this is what ive found ,

the hinds will feed during the night when the moon is at its highest and not a hope of a stalk but as soon the moon lowers and dissapears you can catch them out first thing :D

so i tend to go there and give it a go 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off

cheers lee

I have found its a waste of time stalking while its a full moon,as above ,feeding all night, limited movement,I have found this to be the same all over the country, not just my local patch so there must be something in it.
same with lamping rabbits & foxes etc ,animals movements differ under different moon phases.

Yep, agree with the above. Every time I go out when the moon is shining bright before first light I wonder why I bother!
This morning and yesterday morning I was out and could have easily shot well before first light as it was so bright. Went to two different locations, both with plenty of deer and all I saw was one muntjac in two outings! :(
Loads of ground signs from Fallow, Roe and Muntjac where they had been out and about though! I think they must be able to get about and get a belly full easier with the moon up. They always seem to be tucked up in bed before daylight that's for sure! Going to try an afternoon one tomorrow based on the theory that if they went to bed early, they'll be hungry earlier before nightfall! Any excuse to get out eh! :lol:

Back