Had to get rid of a load of pigeons..

MattyD

Finding ways of feeding game to my family, (all of whom consider them selves the latest food critiques from the Times Newspaper... ) has never been easy...

So tried a hot smoked pigeon breast today..
Followed Gill (from River cottage) guidelines for the dry cure.. And gave it 20 mins in a beech smoke..

Worked out very well.. so thought I'd share. http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/gills-hot-smoked-duck-breast/

my prodigy in action....

served as you can see as a warm salad... with black pudding, croutons, crispy potatoes, a balsamic and olive oil dressing...

its a good job they like it, theres another 40 to go at in the larder tonight...

A very under estimated meat. It can be fiddly to deal with well worth the effort.
Agreed... and would say it is my favourite of all feathered quarry..... 2nd only to venison on my all time favourites..
Variety is the key to keeping the family feasting like kings..... and keeping me happy that they are eating decent healthy, orgainc, FREE food...

Agreed... and would say it is my favourite of all feathered quarry..... 2nd only to venison on my all time favourites..
Variety is the key to keeping the family feasting like kings..... and keeping me happy that they are eating decent healthy, orgainc, FREE food...

Fantastic idea and I will be trying this very soon. I have the same stove top smoker! Rarely used if I am honest. Unlikely to be organic down our way feeding on the heavily fertilised clover/rye grass monocultures!

Fantastic idea and I will be trying this very soon. I have the same stove top smoker! Rarely used if I am honest. Unlikely to be organic down our way feeding on the heavily fertilised clover/rye grass monocultures!

Agreed, and a typo on my part... I enjoyed the meal with a bottle of Pinot Noir.... A better description would have been free range.. but i was tipsy in charge of a keyboard.. and heck... these things happen :doh: :D

Used to rely on pigeon for my weekly meet ration at university. Ate so much of it we tried to find different ways to cook it. One thing that was very successful was making pate with it.

See you followed the suggestion to put some rabbit droppings on floor of grill to enhance the smokey favour, excellent tip.

hi matty
long time no see

that lot looks superb sir!!!!!

black pudding n game etc I think is an ace combo!!! had vensionn black pudding when on weekend with the wife away in Oban earlier this year and it was "Charles McLeod stornoway " black pudding.......WOW!!!!!!! best ive ever had

im away just now with work...again.... but I have a "cheats jerky " gun if you want a shot?...I could bring it round just need to mince the pigeon and add the cure/ flavour mix ...can buy it of evil bay in packets cheaply and bloody good it is.... especially with a beer in the other hand :)

hope you & wife / family well

paul

pigeon jerky

hi matty
long time no see

that lot looks superb sir!!!!!

black pudding n game etc I think is an ace combo!!! had vensionn black pudding when on weekend with the wife away in Oban earlier this year and it was "Charles McLeod stornoway " black pudding.......WOW!!!!!!! best ive ever had

im away just now with work...again.... but I have a "cheats jerky " gun if you want a shot?...I could bring it round just need to mince the pigeon and add the cure/ flavour mix ...can buy it of evil bay in packets cheaply and bloody good it is.... especially with a beer in the other hand :)

hope you & wife / family well

paul

pigeon jerky

aye aye min... gie a shout when ya back bud.. take care...

Where did you get the jerky gun?

Whats your recipe and where did you dehydrate it? I do do biltong but never jerky......

hi matty
hope you don't mind the hijack.....but your a believer same as me that you use what you shoot so don't think youll mind in that sense

stalker 308
as matty sent the link already that's you there.
as for the seasoning I use this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastman-Outdoors-Seasoning-Hickory-5-Pounds/dp/B003DQVBP6

but you can buy form various places..... just have mince ready....add cure & seasoning as per instructions...... then pipe strips onto a wire rack.....have oven on at 100c
then place in oven with door just ajar and no more & leave for an hour.....take out turn stris over then another hour to hour n quarter.... then remove and cool to ambient temp. I store in Tupperware box ...

mutton jerky good, pigeon jerky good, you could buy some cheap beef mince to practice with etc .... I know a lad who used orange peel etc grated thru his with garlic ..sounds weird but was nice ...imagination yer limiting factor

paul

hi matty
hope you don't mind the hijack.....but your a believer same as me that you use what you shoot so don't think youll mind in that sense

stalker 308
as matty sent the link already that's you there.
as for the seasoning I use this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastman-Outdoors-Seasoning-Hickory-5-Pounds/dp/B003DQVBP6

but you can buy form various places..... just have mince ready....add cure & seasoning as per instructions...... then pipe strips onto a wire rack.....have oven on at 100c
then place in oven with door just ajar and no more & leave for an hour.....take out turn stris over then another hour to hour n quarter.... then remove and cool to ambient temp. I store in Tupperware box ...

mutton jerky good, pigeon jerky good, you could buy some cheap beef mince to practice with etc .... I know a lad who used orange peel etc grated thru his with garlic ..sounds weird but was nice ...imagination yer limiting factor

paul
nay bother to me Paul

Back