moderator clasification

TelTime

I have had a good read of this section and don't seem to be able to find anything on this subject, so here goes..

Have .243, have slot for .243 mod
Have been offered various moderators by various shops and private sellers
most have been up to .30 cal
when asked about this have had various answers including does not matter to i will write it on as a .243 mod,
having done a bit more reading and had some informed advice it seems it would be best to have a .30 cal moderator for the longer target bullets to avoid clipping.
My question is should i apply for a variation to get a .30 cal mod added or rely on what i am being told by the shops, or who should i approach to get the correct details from? would i then be able to sell this on as a .243 mod or only as it is proofed to?
Have also been told that i don't have to have a proofed mod on my rifle????
Any help welcome

I have had a good read of this section and don't seem to be able to find anything on this subject, so here goes..

when asked about this have had various answers including does not matter to i will write it on as a .243 mod,
having done a bit more reading and had some informed advice it seems it would be best to have a .30 cal moderator for the longer target bullets to avoid clipping.
My question is should i apply for a variation to get a .30 cal mod added or rely on what i am being told by the shops, or who should i approach to get the correct details from? would i then be able to sell this on as a .243 mod or only as it is proofed to?
Any help welcome
I'm sure my ticket is rim fire mod and full bore mod, so they can be swapped if needed. What does ur ticket say full bore or exact cal??

Any help welcome

A VERITABLE MINEFIELD. I await the world being out to rights.:british:

I have a slot for a .270 mod 'filled' with an unproofed .30 mod, and a slot for a .243 mod 'filled' by an unproofed .25 mod
Also, a slot for a .22-250 mod 'filled' with a .25 mod proofed-stamped as .22/250, although it would obviously work on anything reasonable up to .25cal including the .243.

My (admittedly not uncontested) view is that the slot is not allowing you to own in abstract one .243 mod, but allowing you to own a mod attached to your .243. As such, just as with my .22/250, .243 and .270, it seems that it would not be unreasonable to 'fill the slot' with a mod of a larger size.

Just my view, as I say.

my FAC states the size/cal for each rifle, why not just buy the size you need for a .243. Depending on what make/type of mod you purchase, you can change the diffuser inside to add different sizes if you wanted to.
atb
simon

mine aswell simon1979, i have been advised though that the longer bullets i want to use for long range targets clip on the way out with a .243 specific sized mod

mine aswell simon1979, i have been advised though that the longer bullets i want to use for long range targets clip on the way out with a .243 specific sized mod

I dont have any problems with mine, but im not shooting long range. The easyest thing is to speak with your FLO, not sure how you stand if someone sold you a .30 mod, and entered it on your FAC as a .243 mod, as you both would notifly the firearms department of the transfer and purchase, im not sure if the police double check the information from both parties. If they do it may caurse a problem, but im not 100% sure.

atb
simon

Last edited:
The size of the hole does vary from make to make. The smaller the hole, all other things being equal, the more noise will be contained. The larger the hole the less noise will be contained.

I have a French Unique brand moderator. They ONLY ever made such things for their 22 LR rifles. But the hole would easily allow a .32 size bullet and larger indeed, to pass. But it is nevertheless the correct moderator for their 22 LR or 22 WMRF calibre rimfire rifles.

Now. Remember Tweedledum and Tweedledee from "Alice"? They had a saying. "A thing means whatever I want it to mean". Or suchlike. So do be aware that whilst the hole may be bigger than 6mm I'd make sure that what THEY have on their FAC and what they are transferring to you is also marked up as a 6mm size moderator.

In law it may well be that what the moderator is proof marked to may very well be taken as to define its calibre in the eyes of an FEO. Be aware!

the bullets for target are 105 grain boat tail, this is quite a bit longer than the 70 to 85 i use for hunting, i think the best thing to do is to email my FEO and get a reply that way, if i have it in writing then thats what i will stick to, it is a bit open to "interpretation"

OK MINE SAYS R/F sound moderator 1 no interpretation needed simple

C/F sound moderator 1

Last edited:
i have been advised though that the longer bullets i want to use for long range targets clip on the way out with a .243 specific sized mod

Rubbish, if this is happening then its one of a couple of things, firstly the muzzle threading has been poorly executed and is not concentric to the bore of the rifle, or the baffels in the mod have not been as precisely manufactured as they should have been.
I use a S5 mod designated up to 25 cal on my 257 AI and have not had any bullet clips when using 115g VLDs.

Ian.

OK MINE SAYS R/F sound moderator 1 no interpretation needed simple

C/F sound moderator 1

im gussing that different police forces entre it differently. All my sound mods are list by caliber.
well worth a phone/email to double check with your FLO. Think 49erics way of entering makes most sense though.
atb
simon

Rubbish, if this is happening then its one of a couple of things, firstly the muzzle threading has been poorly executed and is not concentric to the bore of the rifle, or the baffels in the mod have not been as precisely manufactured as they should have been.
I use a S5 mod designated up to 25 cal on my 257 AI and have not had any bullet clips when using 115g VLDs.

Ian.

Glad I am not the only one who saw that and shuddered!

My .243 wears a 6.5mm bore moderator, effectively a 0.33 mm clearance or 0.165 mm either side of the bullet
best sound attenuation I have ever experienced.

IMO the last thing you want is a calibre specific moderator entry on your FAC
what happens when you want to put your ".243 moderator" on a 22-250? or if your ".243 moderator" is actually a 8mm bore and when you come to sell it the guy has a slot for a .30cal moderator?

some magic happens between you owning it and him owning it?

Also IMO it should not be RF or CF
I use the same PES mod on my WMR as I do on my .222, .243

im gussing that different police forces entre it differently. All my sound mods are list by caliber.
well worth a phone/email to double check with your FLO. Think 49erics way of entering makes most sense though.
atb
simon
Frustrating though it may be simon1979 is entirely correct. The only way to be sure it to speak with your FLO.

Frustrating though it may be simon1979 is entirely correct. The only way to be sure it to speak with your FLO.

Indeed.
I think listing them on FAC's by caliber will become the norm as more and more forces follow the HO guidelines which state..............

13.79 Sound moderators should be assigned a calibre, but it is good practice to permit them
to be used with more than one calibre of firearm. It is a matter for the individual shooter,
subject to the “good reason” test, to decide whether to use a moderator on more than one
suitable firearm or to have individual moderators for each firearm.

13.79 Sound moderators should be assigned a calibre,...... but it is good practice to permit them
to be used with more than one calibre

Usual clusterf7ck of contradiction in HO documents
why assign a calibre if it is not going to be limited to that calibre!??

Ian.

When the bullet leaves the barrel it moves from constrained flight in the barrel, rotating about the barrels centreline, to rotating about it's centre of mass. This causes the bullet to yaw. I understand that the bullet also flies in a slightly yawed position anyway. Longer bullet would mean more chance of bullet graze in moderator. But we are talking something like 0.01mm of yaw compared to 0.5mm clearance in radius inside the mod. Bullet strikes in the mod mean as whiteboard states. The only other times is when bullet is not stabilised or by firing sabots through it. Long bullets for calibre does not increase chances of bullet strikes in mod.

? sorry feller who ever told you that was on the bolx pill, 6mil pill .243 what ever size you like to call it the bullet is goner be a 6mil,.243 bullet i use from 55gr to 105 gr, bergers normar and many other makes none have clipped the mod unless, the screw cut is naff or both threads (husher) are worn out .:eek:

? sorry feller who ever told you that was on the bolx pill, 6mil pill .243 what ever size you like to call it the bullet is goner be a 6mil,.243 bullet i use from 55gr to 105 gr, bergers normar and many other makes none have clipped the mod unless, the screw cut is naff or both threads (husher) are worn out .:eek:

Chap in a gunshop.. who then tried to sell me an unproofed mod and treated me like a little bit of dirt on his shop floor, had the money in my pocket but i'm ****ed if i'm spending it with him, been to that place twice blokes a tosser.
And as you can see it's the usual contradictions all over the place, i will phone my FLO and then purchase what i can..

Back