shotgun licence

tonypaull

Happy New year!!

Hi I sent off my licence about two/three months and still no reply not even a single letter. Just wondering if this is normal waiting time or is there a backlog of licences the minute. Also where is a good website to buy cartridges for a 12 bore shutgun

Many thanks
Tony Paull

I guess a bit more information could be useful.
What did you send it of for and who did you send it too? Are you sure it even arrived?

Hi Tony,

I don't know about Gloucestershire but my wife's application in Hampshire took over 6 months and my renewal a few years ago was the same.

I have not found anywhere online where I can get cartridges cheaper than locally, and I guess that waiting for delivery would be a pain.

Regards,

Martin
Happy New year!!

Hi I sent off my licence about two/three months and still no reply not even a single letter. Just wondering if this is normal waiting time or is there a backlog of licences the minute. Also where is a good website to buy cartridges for a 12 bore shutgun

Many thanks
Tony Paull

Chase them, just air your concerns that you are worried it may have been misplaced (especially as they have recently moved offices).

Don't know where you are in the Shire, but justcartidges.co.uk near Witney are good, or Broadway Gunrooms are normally up for a deal.

Nick

Thank you everyone for replying just so happens the police officer phoned me today arranged a meeting for next week. Do you guys know what questions I may be asked just a shotgun certificate. Iv got my cabinet secure to an outside wall and the keys are hidden (no one else in the household knows where they are) but could do with a tips in the questions I may be asked so I can prepare. I'm from the forest of dean in Gloucestershire.
Once again thank you for the help

You will be asked why you want the gun, where you will use it and how you can be known to be safe. Clays or game/vermin are good reason, wanting to own a gun is not. If it is game/vermin then you should be able to demonstrate permission to shoot somewhere. As regards safety, how have/will you be taught? Have you had any lessons? Can you name anyone who will keep you on the straight and narrow? Be sensible and be honest and you should have no probs

You will be asked why you want the gun, where you will use it and how you can be known to be safe. Clays or game/vermin are good reason, wanting to own a gun is not. If it is game/vermin then you should be able to demonstrate permission to shoot somewhere. As regards safety, how have/will you be taught? Have you had any lessons? Can you name anyone who will keep you on the straight and narrow? Be sensible and be honest and you should have no probs
sorry but this is more appropriate if you were applying for sec1 firearms
you require none of the above for a sec2 (shotgun) cert. sdecure storage, no convictions disbarring you, no reason the chief constable would rate you as a threat to public safety.

sorry but this is more appropriate if you were applying for sec1 firearms
you require none of the above for a sec2 (shotgun) cert. sdecure storage, no convictions disbarring you, no reason the chief constable would rate you as a threat to public safety.

That being said if you can answer those questions then all the better!

Agree with below, my wife was asked all these questions, she replied that she had been shooting with me for years but now needed her own gun for pheasants and all was ok. Strictly speaking urx is right but I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Martin

Instead of a website, how about supporting your local shooting businesses ? The tackle shop in Lydney has just invested a shedload in RFD setup, only to have the Lydney Park shoot close. I try to buy as much from them as I can, they are very keen on price and very helpful.

Agree with below, my wife was asked all these questions, she replied that she had been shooting with me for years but now needed her own gun for pheasants and all was ok. Strictly speaking urx is right but I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Martin
I'd fancy his chances just fine the law states you dint need land to shoot over for a shotgun as you do for rifles , you just get asked what you're going to use it for , eg clays or vermin and that's it , no need to specify where at all

Back