Thread: Gamekeepers Christmas Box

Gamekeepers Christmas Box

I have my stalking on a 4,000 acre sporting estate for which I do not pay any fee. Anything I shoot is sold through the estate game shop although I can take a carcasse for a fee. It is a fair arrangement which I don't exploit, going out on the ground once a month or so.

What do you think would be a good Christmas gift to the head 'keeper in recognition of his generosity (he could charge me a significant fee per outing or per annum) and to help maintain continuation of this arrangement into the future?

a good bottle of scotch my good man,not bells/grouse but a good bottle

If I was the keeper I would love a large bottle (1ltr) of 10/15 year old straight malt and throw in a nice large box of chocs for the wife

Give him dinner for 2 at a local hotel, done and dusted !

Quote Originally Posted by rockingod
    If I was the keeper I would love a large bottle (1ltr) of 10/15 year old straight malt and throw in a nice large box of chocs for the wife

I would second a gift for his Mrs but i would make it a large flower arrangement. Matey will get it right in the neck for her sudden hip expansion!!
    Personally i think a gesture towards the guys wife is equally important as a gesture to the guy himself.

Speaking from a keepers point of veiw, yes a good bottle of malt is a nice gesture but to be honest bottles of whiskey are a common gift.
    It sounds like you have a really good thing going which is worth alot of money to some people so you should treasure it.
    If I were the keeper then I would appreciate being taken with my wife to a good country inn for a quality meal and decent wine to boot.
    Taking him out like this also cements your relationship with him and the estate and produces a double whammy as he gets to take the missus out and it dosent cost him!!!

Any of the above will be taken as intended, my buddy & I always do a tour of the farmers/ landowners etc, with the bottle/s & chocs /flowers, so small an effort brings so much in return. but we always try to find out earlier in the year what the latest guys preferred poison is

Thanks all for the suggestions, I was thinking something similar e.g.

- a case of good wine

- half dozen bottles good scotch

- meal for 2/4 in a nice restaurant/inn

- cash (but probably not as cash gifts usually leave an off taste in the mouth)

Any other ideas?

I give one of my landowners who lets me shoot his trophy Roe a days simulated game shooting on a top notch set up on local estate.

Otherwise i give others good quality game cartridges (but expensive @ £240 per 1000)!

Parsons leather cartridge bag with initials?

Once i gave a 4x4 experience half day voucher as he loves offroading