Thread: zero ?

zero ?

just got a bipod should i zero my rifle with it on or off a mate has said zero with it off just want to no what you

That's a very good question. I would recommend that you zero the rifle in the same manner as you intend to shoot it in the field. Once zeroed, check that you get the expected performance at the longest range that you ever intend to shoot at.

Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 06-01-2014 at 13:31.

Try both, at least that way you will know if it makes any difference to your set up, that way if you are out with the bipod on, you won't have any doubts when you come to take a shot.... as a rule I normally zero off bags to set a a scope first time, but as most of my shooting is done off sticks or from a high seat I then check zero from either of those positions.

edit. JCS beat me to it.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Change anything on a rifle and its point of zero will shift slightly. Whether it is an issue at stalking ranges can only be found with trial and error. When fired a rifle is a dynamic object. The muzzle at the time the bullet exits, will not be at the same position as when the trigger is squeezed as the rifle starst moving as soon as the bullet starts moving. Mostly the movement is backwards, but there is also someu upwards, possibly downwards, and sideways movement. How the rifle actually moves is dependent on how the rifle is supported and what supports the rifle. The biggest differences will observed with a light weight rifle in recoiling calibre, whereas a heavy barrel varmint rifle in say 222 will have little effect.

Biggest effect IMHO will be how you hold the rifle. If you firmly grip the fore end and take quite a bit of the recoil through your fore arm and just use the Bipod to steady the rifle you will notice much less change in point of impact than if you let all the weight be taken on the bipod and use you free hand to hold stock into shoulder. Certainly that is what I have found over the years with my lightish barreled Heym. Given that most of my rifles are shot off sticks I hve pretty much given up with a Bipod. When I zero I firmly hold the rifle by the forend, and then support the back of my hand on firm rest, or with the sticks.

Key question is whether or not it makes any material difference in the field. For 99% of stalking where shots are under 100yds a change in POI by 1/2" or even 1" due to change in how the rifle is supported or held is still going to equal a dead deer. But if you are going to be head shooting rabbits at 200 yds off a bipod then zero off a bipod with you chosen method of shooting and stick with it. But the only way you can tell is by testing.