case lube query

Ted47

I have been sizing using the LEE lube, when I first started I had a few dented cases with over lubrication but nothing bad.

Is there any lubricant you shouldn't use when reloading?

The reason I ask is that curiosity got the better of me tonight as I had just serviced my Nailguns and the Paslode oil was still out. This oil is really fine and really good at lubrication. I thought I would try a drop on some old brass and the results were great, 1 tiny drop done all the cases easily , it cleaned off with a rag no bother.

I was just wondering if there was anything wrong with using certain products?

Imperial sizing wax is the best I have come across and lasts for ages. The RCBS lube was messy and would dent cases if too much was applied

I understand that there is really good quality resizing lubes, but is there any reason not to use some lubricant? Just out of interest.

I understand that there is really good quality resizing lubes, but is there any reason not to use some lubricant? Just out of interest.

Only the possibility of contaminating your powder. (some will squeak about primers - but they are real difficult to kill)

Hornady 'One Shot' In the Pump Dispenser is terrible in my experience as is the Lyman version. Not to be confused with the Hornady 'One Shot' in the Aerosol Dispenser which is excellent in my opinion.

Yorkie.

I made some lube with 100% lanolin and 99% Iso Propyl Alcohol mixed together in a spray bottle, just put the cases in a zip lock bag and give them a couple of sprays and a good shake to coat them then put them in the reloading tray for the IPA to evaporate off and you are good to go, quick and easy

As I can't post proper links yet if you google "Bootleg Case lube" it is the first result on AR15 dot com page 1 of the thread ;)

Hornady 'One Shot' In the Pump Dispenser is terrible in my experience as is the Lyman version. Not to be confused with the Hornady 'One Shot' in the Aerosol Dispenser which is excellent in my opinion.

Yorkie.[/QUOT

In what way is it terrible? How does it not perform????

Ian

Yorkie.[/QUOT

In what way is it terrible? How does it not perform????

Ian

Hi Ian

I bought the pump dispenser variety when the Aerosol was unavailable. I found I may have as well have used water, the cases 'dragged' in the dies. No such problem with the Aerosol, cases size with very little resistance. Can I take it your findings were different?

Yorkie.

SharpShoot-R™ Precision Products

Box 171

Paola, Kansas 66071

bluebulltgttrans.gif

785-883-4444 Phone
785-883-2525 Fax
RLJ-004.gif
Never had a stuck case since this went on my bench!, plus the sweet smell reminds me of being out on the heather.
:)

Hi Ian

I bought the pump dispenser variety when the Aerosol was unavailable. I found I may have as well have used water, the cases 'dragged' in the dies. No such problem with the Aerosol, cases size with very little resistance. Can I take it your findings were different?

Yorkie.

Same here.

the Aerosol was good, line 50 cases in the tray and spray 3 angles. never ever had a stuck case with it.

the pump bottle. 4 cases drilled and pulled. it is really really bad. only way i found was to load a sponge. roll the case on it and then a bit in the neck, then size and then into the ultra sonic.

I have gone back to using the lee tube of stuff but it takes to long. not at long as having to drill, tap and pull a case but still slow.

would like to find a new spray that works. i was thinking about trying the curtain track dry lube spray.

As above, Royal Case & Die Lube, from HPS-TR here in Gloucester. Almost 2 years since I bought it, still using what was stuck on the lid, haven't touched the pot itself as yet. And for the neck I use a home-compiled pot of ball bearings and dry graphite, much like the Imperial Dry Neck Lube.

Hi Ian

Yorkie.

BOO**R I just bought some of the pump stuff at an extortionate price - I hope that I don't get problems! :scared:

Ian

Back