Landig Deer Fridges

tonyt

I had been digging around for ages to find a reasonable chiller - needs to be fallow sized. My options seemed to be either
1) go big - some kind of quasi commercial walk in chiller room; or
2) go small - use a drinks chiller

Go Big...just doesn't work - I don't have the space, and cannot justify the expense
Go Small...possibly too small (second fallow was 67kg clean), and I saw nothing available anywhere near Kent in 6 months.

I then found the Landig fridges which seemed perfect, except for the price! Coolgame is the UK importer from Bavaria, and wanted £1560 for a Model 9000 fridge, and another £100 odd for a couple of wire racks and a drip tray. BUT, on the Landig website, the manufacturer is offering the same fridge for EUR 1200 (i.e £1,000) + delivery. I asked Landig if I could buy a fridge from them and deliver it to England, and they said no - Coolgame is the exclusive UK sales agent and therefore they will not ship me a fridge to the UK.

I then called Goolgame UK and asked if they could improve on the price given the massive difference in price - the chap had no interest in discussing a discount and said the difference was all due to shipping costs, and that I should buy it from Germany if I thought I could do better on the shipping.

Next I called National Pallets and asked the cost of shipping the fridge on a pallet, and it came in at under £200....so no way am I giving anyone £500 more than the fridge is costing them:cuckoo:

Last month I took delivery of the Landig Fridge. Bought it in Germany at the factory gate (ordered it via email using google translate to turn emails into German), and arranged my own transport. Sent National Pallets to collect and all in cost was about £1200, saving nearly £500..

This fridge is massive - has 6' vertical hanging space, double hanging rails mounted at the top, programmable temperature control and a lockable door. Thoroughly recommend the product, and buying in Germany may make it a better value alternative to some of you. (Obviously I don't have a 'UK Customer Support' relationship, but this is a German fridge...)
cheers
Tony

Surely Coolgame has overheads i.e. premises, staff, business rates etc. Their markup is what they need to cover costs and make a profit, I don't see why you would want to discredit them for simply making a living.

Surely Coolgame has overheads i.e. premises, staff, business rates etc. Their markup is what they need to cover costs and make a profit, I don't see why you would want to discredit them for simply making a living.

exactly, and just how many do you think they sell. It must be a tiny market

we are not comparing wholesale v retail prices here - it is internet retail v internet retail, one nearly 50% more than the other. (in both cases, fridge is shipped on a pallet direct from factory, not via premises or a shop owned by Coolgame).

My point is at this [improved] price point, others may benefit from a good product. I respect your view may be different, but a 50% marlkup for passing an internet order on to the factory strikes me as egregious - I simply searched for the best price, and am sharing my purchase experience ;)

Coolgame know their market well, and sell some very good products (Landig & La.va), but they evidently price them in the knowledge that they have secured exclusive UK rights and their customers will consequently find it difficult to buy elsewhere.

This model may suit them, and probably does not bother business customers who can offset the expenditure against tax and who, I would imagine, make up the lion's share of Coolgame's customer base, but it is certainly not in the interests of the private buyer, and IMO essentially anti-competitive.

So well done TonyT for sorting out a better deal, and sharing the info with the rest of us.

Coolgame know their market well, and sell some very good products (Landig & La.va), but they evidently price them in the knowledge that they have secured exclusive UK rights and their customers will consequently find it difficult to buy elsewhere.

This model may suit them, and probably does not bother business customers who can offset the expenditure against tax and who, I would imagine, make up the lion's share of Coolgame's customer base, but it is certainly not in the interests of the private buyer, and IMO essentially anti-competitive.

So well done TonyT for sorting out a better deal, and sharing the info with the rest of us.

Quite right, he is not discrediting anyone, just getting a better deal for himself.

I had a funny one with cool game, it was cheaper to buy a vac packer from his european shop than it was his UK website shop, so I said would he match it, he said no! So I bought and paid in Euros and saved 50 quid!

One of the benefits of being in Europe.....no import tax!
I say good on you....its there to be used.

Awesome looks like I might go down that direction aswell for next year. Do you have a contact name for the guys in the factory? Did you just email them and say you wanted to buy a fridge direct? Did you gain also with the pound euro exchange?

JP

Awesome looks like I might go down that direction aswell for next year. Do you have a contact name for the guys in the factory? Did you just email them and say you wanted to buy a fridge direct? Did you gain also with the pound euro exchange?

JP

JP - If you are in Ireland, they will sell / ship directly to you for an all in price - it's only if you are in the UK that they cannot ship to you, thus the need to buy it from the factory gate and arrange your own delivery.

If the latter, just send them an email (as I said, I used Google translate to turn everything into German to make it easier for them) telling them what you want to buy and that you want to buy it from the factory direct and arrange your own transport. they took some details, sent me an invoice which I paid by bank transfer, and then agreed at date for national pallets to collect. Asked them to remove the feet sand pack on a disposable pallet so that dimensions (height) were within limits for a single pallet pricing.

tyheir prices are in EUR, so gains depend on what fx rate you get from the bank when making payment

tony

Ah ok cheers for that tony, you sound exactly like me, searching for the best deal ;), I will be doing the exact same so later in the year. It will be to the UK because I am here most of the time now!

JP

I had been digging around for ages to find a reasonable chiller - needs to be fallow sized. My options seemed to be either
1) go big - some kind of quasi commercial walk in chiller room; or
2) go small - use a drinks chiller

Go Big...just doesn't work - I don't have the space, and cannot justify the expense
Go Small...possibly too small (second fallow was 67kg clean), and I saw nothing available anywhere near Kent in 6 months.

I then found the Landig fridges which seemed perfect, except for the price! Coolgame is the UK importer from Bavaria, and wanted £1560 for a Model 9000 fridge, and another £100 odd for a couple of wire racks and a drip tray. BUT, on the Landig website, the manufacturer is offering the same fridge for EUR 1200 (i.e £1,000) + delivery. I asked Landig if I could buy a fridge from them and deliver it to England, and they said no - Coolgame is the exclusive UK sales agent and therefore they will not ship me a fridge to the UK.

I then called Goolgame UK and asked if they could improve on the price given the massive difference in price - the chap had no interest in discussing a discount and said the difference was all due to shipping costs, and that I should buy it from Germany if I thought I could do better on the shipping.

Next I called National Pallets and asked the cost of shipping the fridge on a pallet, and it came in at under £200....so no way am I giving anyone £500 more than the fridge is costing them:cuckoo:

Last month I took delivery of the Landig Fridge. Bought it in Germany at the factory gate (ordered it via email using google translate to turn emails into German), and arranged my own transport. Sent National Pallets to collect and all in cost was about £1200, saving nearly £500..

This fridge is massive - has 6' vertical hanging space, double hanging rails mounted at the top, programmable temperature control and a lockable door. Thoroughly recommend the product, and buying in Germany may make it a better value alternative to some of you. (Obviously I don't have a 'UK Customer Support' relationship, but this is a German fridge...)
cheers
Tony
Buying from the factory seems to be the way to go on these.
Regards
JCS

Back