Dog food bin??

andyf

Pup gets here next week and looking for a decent sized (15kg+) food bin. It'll be in the utility room so looking for something that's airtight and will keep the smell in. I'm assuming there are better and cheaper alternatives than the £30+ options with fancy integrated scoops and pretty dog decals that the local pet supeorstore has on offer...

Any suggestions gratefully received! Cheers, Andy.

I use a blue "food safe" barrel that originally contained mango chutney imported to the UK from India. It cost me just £3 from the importers in Sussex. Canoe barrels etc will also do the same job.

+1 use them for all sorts from feeders, dog food, & soaking, they are cheap, available, & versatile.
I use a blue "food safe" barrel that originally contained mango chutney imported to the UK from India. It cost me just £3 from the importers in Sussex. Canoe barrels etc will also do the same job.

thanks for the suggestions guys. the barrels look ideal but not sure where I can pick one up (for 3 quid, anyway!). Wondered about a bin but thought it needed to be airtight to keep food fresh and contain any smells (does dry food smell?? not opened the bag yet...)

Andy

Where in Sussex are they based? The only places I've found were miles away and postage was a bit steep

Try ur local curry house or kebab shop, i think that where a lot of them drums come from.
Various types of buckets and bins (mineral lick up to 50 gall drums) can be sourced from farms if u have a friendly farmer. Althou may not look to good if going to be sat inside ur house
Just a normal old fashioned rubbish bin will do, i used to store extra bags inside a plastic bin outside and they never took no hurt (still in the bag thou)

Are u keeping it in the same area as where the dog lives? Possibly not a good idea as no matter how safe and secure u think it is the little bu**ers will find a way in:p

thanks for the suggestions guys. the barrels look ideal but not sure where I can pick one up (for 3 quid, anyway!). Wondered about a bin but thought it needed to be airtight to keep food fresh and contain any smells (does dry food smell?? not opened the bag yet...)

Andy

Yes dry food smells, I bought a storage box with a clip on lid thinking that it would do but didn't realise that the handles were cut outs in the side letting that wonderful aroma out, first night of my new dog she pulled the box off of the table and managed to get the lid off and gorge herself on the dry food inside.

Martin

Where in Sussex are they based? The only places I've found were miles away and postage was a bit steep

Probably a bit far for you bud, unless you can pick one up one the way past? On the industrial estate on the northern edge of Bexhill.

Probably a bit far for you bud, unless you can pick one up one the way past? On the industrial estate on the northern edge of Bexhill.

I do end up over that way a fair bit, can you remember the name of the place? I've had a Google but nothing obvious is coming up.

I do end up over that way a fair bit, can you remember the name of the place? I've had a Google but nothing obvious is coming up.

My bad; it's actually BD Foods, Castleham Road, St Leonards. It's exactly the same type of barrels as mereside has linked to.

I got a couple of medium sized plastic tubs with lids (about 60x40cm) from a DIY store a year or so back, which were about £5 each; so quite a bit cheaper than the ones on eBay. I think it was Wickes. Worth a look next time you are in.

those barrels in the link look useful for canoe trips.... Mmmmm.

Eukanuba were giving a container away with a bag of grub, don't know if they're still doing that.
If they're not get yourself along to your local home brew shop and get a beer brewing 25lt tub for about £5

You can't beat the plastic barrels, as has been said usually first used for chutney or similar food products. They are often used with a spring feeder and wooden legs bolted on for pheasant pellets or wheat. Do a search on ebay for them, try "pheasant feeder" or "40l plastic barrel". With a bit of luck you'll find one not too far away from you.

The only down side to them is they are usually horrible shades of blue and red. Not really a work of art if you want to have it in the house.

Back