Question about new caliber

k123 aberdeen

Hi ive been shooting foxes in aberdeenshire for about 2 years now and some roe with my 223 was thinking to get something bigger for roe (im shooting more off it now.)dont know what scotish new force will think about that?, have closed license what chances do i have for say 308 for roe i would like to go for paid boar and stags in the future.is there max caliber for roe in scotland? any advise welcome!

When I needed to look into it the minimum calibre recommended for wild boar was .270 with expanding bullet not less than 150 grains (Deer Initiative/Best practice Guidance/England & Wales/5/1/2010) and DEFRA (England/2005) recommended a legal minimum calibre .270 with a 130 grain expanding bullet achieving 2,600 ft/lbs.
In Europe you can be asked to use at least 30 calibre with 180 grain bullet. Hopefully your firearms licencing department would accept an application for .308 Win on the strength of your wishing to shoot wild boar as is becoming current here on "aolq" - "any other legal quarry". I've witnessed a lot of Roe deer being culled by .270 and .308 and wouldn't describe it as "too much gun". Best of luck and hopefully some folk nearer you can advise you better

Ask for either .308 or even better , if you are serious about boar , 30-06 , I have .308 and .45/70 for boar .If reds are the main diet then a .260 is ideal and very accurate.

:old:

Can't see a problem, just ask for 223 for fox + aolq and 308 for deer + aolq. You are not asking for anything unusual at all. 308 is a tad bigger but it isn't an Exocet missile!

thanks guys to be honest nothing wrong in asking them will see what they say.

This is not primary school, you are not asking teacher if you can have a pee.

You put in for a variation and give them good reason. There are only two other tests (ie not a prohibited person and not a danger to the public) and you already have a FAC so have passed those hurdles. They then have pretty much no choice but to grant what you reasonably ask for. A .308 to shoot deer is perfectly reasonable.

Unless you have a booking for boar or stags I wouldn't mention them at this stage. Book a day on reds or boar and they cannot possibly refuse as your 22 CF is illegal :D

This is not primary school, you are not asking teacher if you can have a pee.

You put in for a variation and give them good reason. There are only two other tests (ie not a prohibited person and not a danger to the public) and you already have a FAC so have passed those hurdles. They then have pretty much no choice but to grant what you reasonably ask for. A .308 to shoot deer is perfectly reasonable.

I like your style - yes you are right, no need to beg.

I am in Aberdeen, and asked for 243 for roe and reds at my first grant, no problem. Asked for a 3006 for red stags and boar some time later, again, no problem. This was the local force and not the Scottish one but i don't expect it will have changed much yet. The 3006 is quickly becoming my go to rifle, it is great to shoot, though had a nice doe to the 243 today.

In a couple of weeks i am away for a crack at boar and hinds and the 30 will be along.
If you are regularly shooting roe, have the opportunity to reds and boar from my experiences you will have no problem

Back