Wanted: Enquiry for a French chum - 3 days hinds, 2 days roughshooting in Scotland, Oct '14

Pine Marten

Hello everyone.

I’ve been asked by a French acquaintance whether I could help with a stalking and roughshooting week that he’s trying to plan to Scotland for the end of October this year. There are four of them, two of which can get by fine in English, and they’re looking to do three days of hind stalking, and a couple of days of roughshooting, for which they’re not fussy. They’re not particularly fussy about accommodation and food, they’re just keen to cram in as much proper hunting as they can. They’ve had a couple of quotes from estates in Scotland at around the £2,000 a head mark. I have no experience of organising this sort of trip, so I’m not sure what the going rates are, but I’m pretty sure that lots of people on the SD do!

Any help and suggestions gladly appreciated.

PM, Suggest you PM Adamant on here from Athina Sporting as I know he does weeks like this for clients (and including Grouse etc if required).

Another good person to contact would be Garry McLennan, Head Keeper at Invermark (Dalhousie Estate). When I was up there a few weeks ago they had groups doing just what you describe. Quarry included mountain hares and grouse as well as pheasant, rabbit, duck etc. Stalking is with horses. May sound obvious but suggest to your friends that they do a little fitness work between now and October so that they can enjoy the hills better. Cheers, Glyn.

Hi Lawrence,

I'm in Texas at the moment but I've got a couple of good options I can price up when I get back - it will be east Cairngorms, flying in and out of Aberdeen if they aren't in their own cars.

I'm assuming they want decent multi-species roughshooting rather than a poke around some random hedges with a spaniel? How fit / competent are they for the hind stalking - just so I know how much support they'll need and what ground to go for.

Drop me an email at adam@athinasporting.com.

A.

The prices quoted don't sound outrageous but would be at the very top end which is fine as long as they get a top end experience. Obviously they should make sure that it is clear what Is included in terms of food and accommodation etc. If the budget is tight and two of the four don't speak good English maybe they should do 2:1 on the stalking days?

Another good person to contact would be Garry McLennan, Head Keeper at Invermark (Dalhousie Estate). When I was up there a few weeks ago they had groups doing just what you describe. Quarry included mountain hares and grouse as well as pheasant, rabbit, duck etc. Stalking is with horses. May sound obvious but suggest to your friends that they do a little fitness work between now and October so that they can enjoy the hills better. Cheers, Glyn.

Thanks Glyn. They're all from the Alps and accustomed to stalking chamois and mouflon, so they should be able to handle it physically.

Give SolwayStalker (Colin) a shout. I've had great days roe stalking with him but I know he has access to a wide range of shooting and is certainly a great host.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy. The chaps now have a few options to juggle with, so I'm going to wait and see what takes their fancy before I start bothering anyone else about this.

Back