Scientists develop a new "rat spray"

woollyback

[h=2]Found an interesting article; not sure how well its going to be received by the 'public'

"The new aerosol spray trap could change the way shoots control rats"
[/h]"Scientists at the University of Aston have devised a new type of rat trap which could, in the future, transform the way in which rat control is undertaken by gamekeepers.

The new trap addresses the increasing problem of rats becoming resistant to traditional poisons. The device uses a tunnel trap fitted with a laser-activated trigger, which — when broken by a passing rat — causes a pre-determined dose of poison to be sprayed on to the creature. This lethal spray is absorbed through the skin and means a more measured amount of poison can be used rather than an operator being reliant upon poisoned baits.

Aston University’s Andrew Ingham told the BBC that the reduction of poisoned baits in the environment was one of the key drivers behind the development: “We’re putting more poison out to kill the rats that are freely roaming in these areas. You often don’t notice that there’s a massive amount of poison hidden in a little black box at the side of the road.”

Can't wait to hear davens well educated and measured views on this one !

My number one view is that you and the couple of punks that you've recruited as followers should grow up, find another hobby, and get off my ass.. As to poisoning, do whatever makes you happy and lets you look in the mirror. Every case is different and each individual knows if they are using it out of laziness or as a last resort.

Could be... But at least all but a couple of you are man enough to let it go and stop trying to dig up something. If folks get upset with my comments on a subject, so be it. Not the intention, but I say things straight out and don't worry much about thin skin. Some can take it, some can't, and some get obsessed with it and constantly try to pick an argument. Try bein a man and just don't read my posts if you don't like what I have to say...

Last edited:
Well I'll try but obviously your man enough for all of use precisely with all those big words like punk ;)

hi
well i for one would rather listen to what daven has to say than listen to some of the drivel thats said on here

now now boys lets play nicely, I wonder what REDDOT would have to say about it all. Oh how I miss his retorts

Interesting new angle/idea on rodent control, in the near past we have had electronic / electrocution monitors and a monitor when triggered shuts the monitor possibly sealing and releasing C02 into the chamber displacing the oxygen, both of these have very very moderate success, we also have monitors with snappies inside that have a electronic device which when triggered sends the unfortunate technician a text advising the trap number 142 has been activated and a visit is required within four hrs, the minute success rate of these are due to human interference i.e. being kicked, run over, moved and water, wind non target species entering the area and electronic failure due to adverse temperature and weather

i wouldn't imagine the latest device would get air time on a normal pest management routine, my guess that unless these monitors are in a safe secure area, the question of leakage and containment in the event of accidental discharge, given most water based rodenticides have now been been withdrawn, I guess somewhere along the way it has to contain a carrier like water, that is no go and is the same for a powder based chemical.

Definitely wouldn't be suitable in a food prep or storage facility, as to using it externally I doubt that if the chemical is applied to external surface or animal coat there is the chance of secondary or non target poisoning.

I guess it would be nice to see a new armament against rodents, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one being available or suitable or safe for many pesties. ------- Sales gimmick comes to mind !

Using non chemical means to monitor and control is definitely in front of all other methods, the EU and Government cannot get out of it, it is a part the euro countries big picture for the future of Europe ? Ban rodenticide and use mechanical means total

Food producing companies are required to monitor activity and reduce from a active rodenticide to non toxic when history highlights no activity due to due diligence, hygiene and proofing a continual percentage of reduction of toxic baitings has to be recorded and only re introduced in the event of activity being evident Wait for it. In the event mechanical means and daily follow up are not controlling the activity

Will be good to watch this space on this one and sees how it develops. .

ATB

phil

Last edited:
Interesting new angle/idea on rodent control, in the near past we have had electronic / electrocution monitors and a monitor when triggered shuts the monitor possibly sealing and releasing C02 into the chamber displacing the oxygen, both of these have very very moderate success, we also have monitors with snappies inside that have a electronic device which when triggered sends the unfortunate technician a text advising the trap number 142 has been activated and a visit is required within four hrs, the minute success rate of these are due to human interference i.e. being kicked, run over, moved and water, wind non target species entering the area and electronic failure due to adverse temperature and weather

i wouldn't imagine the latest device would get air time on a normal pest management routine, my guess that unless these monitors are in a safe secure area, the question of leakage and containment in the event of accidental discharge, given most water based rodenticides have now been been withdrawn, I guess somewhere along the way it has to contain a carrier like water, that is no go and is the same for a powder based chemical.

Definitely wouldn't be suitable in a food prep or storage facility, as to using it externally I doubt that if the chemical is applied to external surface or animal coat there is the chance of secondary or non target poisoning.

I guess it would be nice to see a new armament against rodents, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one being available or suitable or safe for many pesties. ------- Sales gimmick comes to mind !

Using non chemical means to monitor and control is definitely in front of all other methods, the EU and Government cannot get out of it, it is a part the euro countries big picture for the future of Europe ? Ban rodenticide and use mechanical means total

Food producing companies are required to monitor activity and reduce from a active rodenticide to non toxic when history highlights no activity due to due diligence, hygiene and proofing a continual percentage of reduction of toxic baitings has to be recorded and only re introduced in the event of activity being evident Wait for it. In the event mechanical means and daily follow up are not controlling the activity

Will be good to watch this space on this one and sees how it develops. .

ATB

phil

Theres no suggestion of it being used in food environments, it says it's aimed specifically at keepers......

Be very interested to see this in actual use.
Could prove to be very useful if well situated around feed hoppers and could make yet another alternative method of attack

To be honest I would be surprised if it sees light of day, it isn't or wouldn't generate enough money as a specific product for keepers or similar areas, if it isn't a multi use product realistically it won't get off the cutting room floor, bit of a shame, but facts is facts.
Manufacturers are swiftly coming away from single use products purely on profit (greed)

atb

phil

Could be... But at least all but a couple of you are man enough to let it go and stop trying to dig up something. If folks get upset with my comments on a subject, so be it. Not the intention, but I say things straight out and don't worry much about thin skin. Some can take it, some can't, and some get obsessed with it and constantly try to pick an argument. Try bein a man and just don't read my posts if you don't like what I have to say...
if you dont like it dont comment . I dont watch football because i dont like it

Back