What to do with wet rifle?

VSS

I got home earlier from an unsuccessful tramp over the mountain in search of feral goats with my rifle absolutely sodden. Usually I wipe off the worst of the water and then stand the rifle in the corner of the kitchen by the rayburn (not too close to the heat though) for an hour or two, then clean and oil etc before returning to cabinet. However, on this occasion I had only come home briefly to drop off the rifle and change my togs as I had to go out again immediately. So I couldn't leave the rifle in the kitchen to dry, and had to put it in the cabinet wet. I don't suppose this is very good for it or any of the other guns in the cabinet.

What do other folk do in this sort of situation?

there is a slip u can buy, looks like its got a sort of copper lining, however you can store a wet gun in there for months with no rust....cant recall the name so try google, if you have no luck drop me a pm and I will dig my one out and let u know the make, also stops the damp getting to the other guns. I keep it for just your issue

mine are called sack -ups
Sack - Ups 42 inch Gun Sock for Rifle / Shotgun Silicone Treated Made In USA

The main reason we lock up our guns is to keep them safe and protected. The only problem is, more damage can be done to them when their locked up than when their out in the open.
Safes provide the perfect environment for humidity and moisture, and this can create serious damaging effects to your guns in the form of rust. So how can we protect our guns from protecting our guns?
This is exactly what our friends over at Sack-Ups were thinking when they developed the Gun Sock. Funny enough, it's exactly what it sounds like, a sock that goes over the barrel to wick away moisture and prevent rust.
The socks are silicone treated to help wick away the moisture. The sock itself also prevents dings, scratches, and damage to your rifles as it acts as a case.
These Gun Socks are made right here in the USA and will keep your firearm looking as new as it did that first day you bought it.
Fits up to a 42 inch Rifle.

The best oil, in this case, is a water soluble oil, but if well seasoned and sealed a decent wood stock WILL NOT move or "creep" anyway. The worry are those parts that are metal against wood such as the sides of the receiver that are encased in the stock.

Find yourself one of the old single gun clam type locks, seal the bolt and magazine in a sealed bag with a spray of WD or similar, put
them in the safe. The rifle you can leave in the lock till you return home to finish drying etc before reassembling it and putting it away properly.

Neil. :)

A wet stainless/synthetic rifle put away in the cabinet will affect the other residents thereof just as much as a wet blue/wood rifle!

I think I might be inclined to take the stock off the rifle and leave it in a dry room. Then I'd be able to give the metal bits a thorough drying-off and oiling (not forgetting to strip the bolt and mag) before popping them away in the cabinet.

im asuming that a wood stock and blued barrel are still fine to use in heavy rain as long as there dryed and stored correctly.

atb
simon

I'm thinking that next time I might just remove bolt, spray bolt with wd40 or similar, and put in cabinet. Then put rifle in accustomed place by rayburn with a cable through action and padlocked to water pipes. It wouldn't be visible to any casual observer, and I think it would count as reasonable precautions. It's basically what's recommended if you're staying in a B&B or something when you go away to shoot.

Trouble was lack of time - only about 5 mins turnaround. I don't think I'd be able to remove stock (not sure I'd know how to anyway :oops:) in that time, or get dry with hair-dryer. Also would be a bit worried that hair-dryer would dry woodwork too quickly.
I like the sound of the "gun sock" though.

I did think of driving home from the ground with the rifle propped upright in the front passenger foot-well, with the car heating blower on. Would anyone else do that, or would folk be too worried about having an uncovered rifle "on show" in the vehicle?

Just leave in under the bedroom radiator till it`s as dry as a bone, then clean it and put it away,, simples

I have a couple of Sauers with the advantage of being able to easily remove the wooden forearm and stock. J. P Sauer recommends wiping the rifle and stock with a grease containing teflon, leaving the grease sit for an hour, then wiping if off. They recommend repeating this every 2-6 months. The new Sauers come with a very small container of this grease. I found a product in the states called "Super Lube" synthetic grease with PTFE costing about $6 for 3 ounces. Water beads up and rolls off of my rifle. Won't help your saturated rifle but could prevent problems should you get soaked in the future. Leupold provides a rainproof scope cover with the new VX6 series scopes. Rifle covers are available. I understand that when you're out with a group it's hard to break and come in early, but I personally would forgo a potential shot and come in early to protect the gear. Somebody once observed that we don't own our rifles, we simply hold onto them for the next generation. Walnut is a very forgiving wood and generally stable however the sought after crotch grain is more unstable with internal tension. Dry very slowly.

I would remove bolt and clean, put a few dry patches through the barrel, give the exterior of the rifle a dry with a towel. open any scope lense covers up and let everything dry and come to room temp.

I don't like to take my walnut stocked rifles out in rain. Synthetic stocked rifles I'm happy to be out whatever the weather. I never seal a wet rifle in a slip. It goes in the rear footwell with something handy to cover it if needs be. I do have tinted windows though.

Wet rifle

either wood or synthetic stok

Take Barrelled action out stock dry off both with absorbent towel

Leave both to air dry in warm room

Wipe out bore with dry patch and chamber

Apply patch with lightly lubed patch in CHAMBER AND Bore

Reassemble

Bolt - strip, dry and relube

I have all my cabinets in warm places, I also have a warming mat at the base of them to keep any risk of moisture / condensation at zero.

Just leave in under the bedroom radiator till it`s as dry as a bone, then clean it and put it away,, simples
That's pretty much what I do. The thing is, would you be prepared to go out for a few hours leaving the rifle like that? Knowing that other people would be in the house? That was the issue.

Back