Thread: Ectoparasites in Roe deer

Ectoparasites in Roe deer

Interested in patterns/fluctuations in Ked, Tick and lice activity observed by members over the course of seasons and also differing years and theories on contributing factors. Weather being the most obvious.

On my part I so rarely see lice that I forget to look for them most of the time. I have a few observations I might contribute if the thread doesn't take off.

I will be interested in your findings ..

My main stalking ground is high, cold and wet .. the instance of ticks on the
    roe are few and far between, infact I can't remember the last time I found one.
    I suppose the fact there are no sheep on the ground also helps.

The down side of this being body weights and antler growth is also on the low side.

Incidentally some of the highest tick burdens I have ever seen were during
    August 2013 in Glen Affric.

in yorkshire the ticks are only present in small numbers on my arable farms but go higher up were there is alot of gauze and heather the ticks are in greater numbers.
    on my ground in dumfries the ticks are again present but in smaller numbers this is a forestry block but sheep border those blocks
    west coast scotland , i have never seen a tick infestation so bad as here and keds are also in abundance as is sheep but i have no idea why the ticks are so prolific here to anywhere else,atb wayne
    to add i have not seen a change in numbers even with the weather on the west coast.
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I stalk mainly roe in the NW England & SW Scotland. A few sika, red & fallow. Some of the ground has a lot of sheep, some just forestry with sheep on the hill adjoining.

In 2011 & 12 the tick burden was the worst I'd seen in 25 years of stalking, I'd guess this was due to the wet, mild spring and wet early summers. My book says 1989 was bad too in Galloway but not sure about the weather then.

Conversely 2013 was the lowest tick burden I have witnessed. Two sages I have spoken to say this is due to the dry spring. The grouse technician from Abbeystead said cold doesn't kill ticks but dry weather at the right time can. An entomologist who was working with a fisheries trust in Argyll was talking about the amazing lack of midges last year due to the dry spring, he confirmed it could be the same for ticks.

I only ever see keds on red stags and early hinds off the hill. This in Inverness-shire & Argyll (worst in the latter, same with ticks here)

I don't really check for lice and have never seen a bad infestation.