Deer Management Templates

smithp18

Hi All,
Hope this does not appear to obvious but I want to do this right the first time
I am in the process of writing my first deer management plan for the estate owner.
I have the population somewhere near, well I think I have but I need a bit of guidance please, as all my previous stalking either needed no plan or was paying with a stalker.
I have looked a number of forms and templates available and they differ from loads of detail to a two page table.
I was wondering and would be grateful if someone could forward an example of what they have submitted in the passed which as been adequate for all parties concerned.

Thanks

Smith18

You need to know why the plan is needed. if it is for claiming the woodland grant follow the template on the DI website.

Deer Management Plans

Hi Smith18,

Having done the job for many years, I can advise you to begin with as much historical information as possible. Hopefully the previous stalker - if there was one - will have kept some records. If he/she hasn't, then you have a perfect opportunity to demonstrate your professional approach.

By that I mean records of culls, observations, reproductive status, carcass weights and trophy details.

The more historic information you have, the more you will have a firm basis for a management plan based on scientific data, rather than conjecture.

I would also suggest that a management plan be clear, consice and easily read. Most landowers would not wish to read through reams of 'uninteresting' information. They like you to get to the point. Basically what are you deciding to do, the basis of your decision, how it will affect the economics of the farm/estate, what are they going to get out of it in the end, and how much do you want out of it.

It would help to know who (not the name and address!) you are expecting to read the plan.

I would be happy to give you some pointers as to how I approach such things. I can send you a copy of the type of plan I present to customers of Jelen Deer Services. They are simple, to the point, and more importantly, they work.

If you wish to give me a contact email address, I can send you some stuff.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Mike.

Back