kinetic bullet puller primer ignighted

mollydog

as above i have just been pulling some 270 ammo and had a primer go off luckily it didnt ignite the powder .
has any one had this happen to them ?

No, and I can't see how it could happen unless you hit the primer. And how come the powder didn't go? Where you still hitting it after the bullet and powder dumped?

Boxer or berdan primed?

as above i have just been pulling some 270 ammo and had a primer go off luckily it didnt ignite the powder .
has any one had this happen to them ?

I've never used one as I didn't like the look of them for the afore mentioned reason. Just get yourself a cam lock bullet puller from hornaday. They are not expensive and are brilliant. I just have mine so I can adjust the odd bullet that seats to deeply when I'm setting up my seating die.

Kind regards, olaf

used the hammer in the correct way certanly the right way up the round was a reloaded norma case with a federal primer the powder didnt burn nor did the bullet come out of the case

I would say it is an extreme case if the primer goes off and powder doesn't ignite. I appreciate that the powder is now sitting at the opposite end of the case from the primer. I've had the odd (like 1 in 2000) primers not go off for various reasons and I've had primers go off where there was no powder charge in the case. Primers in old cases burn slowly and there be a delay in igniting.

But never a primer set off without powder burn.

How do you know the primer has ignited?

The primer went "off" but didn't ignite the powder???

Not understanding!

You used the puller like this? ... ----->

Hi Tamus used the hammer as seen in the video , i have used the hammer to pull quite a few rounds and this is the first time this has happened

Hi Tamus used the hammer as seen in the video , i have used the hammer to pull quite a few rounds and this is the first time this has happened

Beyond my ken.

Never heard of this before and still can't figure how it might happen. I must have dismantled hundreds of rounds over the years and nothing like this has ever happened to me nor, as far as I'm aware, to anyone I know.

Sounds like you were lucky not to get a little bit singed.

I can't understand how it could. If it did, how the hell could it not ignite the powder?

Why were you pulling them? ..... Forget to put powder in?

I use them a lot
dont like the cam lock pullers as the more often than not damage the bullet

Never had any issues, can't physically explain how a primer would go off in one

I fail to see how that could happen using a kinetic puller ...

You were obviously there, what do you think caused the ignition?
And why on earth did it not ignite the charge?

Ssss a mystery that one.

I've been around those stupid things all my life and used one more times than I care to admit, but I've never heard of a primer igniting, and if it did one would wonder how the powder didn't ignite, and more over, why the bullet remained in the case. Any primer ignition will unseat a bullet. In the words of my old shooting coach, "Ah doan theen wha hahpund ees wha u theen hahpund." ;)~Muir

Just to add the primer when it went off shot out of the case with enough force to hit the ceiling

Any primer ignition will unseat a bullet.;)~Muir

Not in my experience. I bought a Tikka T3 in 223 with 100+ reloads. 69gr Sierra head, H322 powder. All going well, highly accurate. One round then failed to go. Taken home, unloaded, inside of case black from primer, no powder in there. And these were not crimped, although there was a lot of neck tension. Standard small rifle primer.

Just to add the primer when it went off shot out of the case with enough force to hit the ceiling

Now I am laughing, you were bloody lucky. If it went, you would have been holding a plastic wand. Are you sure it wasn't a hydraulic situation which pushed the primer out?

Without cause and effect it's hard to believe it happened. No cause - percussion primer not struck, no effect - powder not ignited.

Did you recover the primer and prove it had ignited? I'd never find it in my garage, the things are everywhere.

Back