300 H&H

Yes. It is a very pleasant round to shoot. It was my calibre of choice on a hunting trip in Canada. I shot a 12 point Bull Elk and a Black bear with it.

The thing I liked most about it is that it had almost no muzzle flip. The recoil went straight back into my shoulder and I actually watched bullet strike.

Beautiful Elk. Found him on the 9th day of the hunt at about 11.00 am, stalked him all day and did not take the shot until about 5.30 that evening.
One of the best days of my life so far!!

What do you want it for? Africa?
I would certainly consider it, I was very pleased with it.

Miles

Thanks Clive - I take it then the 300 H&H doesn't have too much recoil then.

I am thinking of it as a larger rifle for use on Reds - hinds and stags, but also for use on the continent on boar - in France the 30-06 and 308 are illegal, hence the choice of the 300 H&H, plus for use in Africa. 300 win mag seems a bit too much.

I have always liked the look of the long tapered 300 H&H case - certainyl no feed problems and have used rifles with modern, sharply tapered cases and always conscious they don't feed that well.

My other choice is the 7x64 - possibly doesn't quite have the punch of 200 grain 300 H&H bullet, but with a better ballistic coefficient will be flatter shooting in the lighter bullet weights. - say 140 gn.

Back