Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driven pheasant shoot & rain

Question Driven pheasant shoot & rain

I have been invited to go on a driven shoot this Saturday and the forecast is for rain.

Just because I really do not know and have never been before....But does driven pheasant shooting still go ahead in the rain ??

Cheers + ATVB

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Yes, but there's a good chance that it will be a bit lacklustre as pheasants have trouble flying when wet. They try and hunker down to sit it out.

sure do just a pain sometimes waiting for the birds in the rain, but its great fun anyway ,atb .

I shot on the 30th December the last three drives in torrential rain driven by a minor gale. These pheasants flew like rockets thirty five shells on the last stand with only four birds killed. Commercial shoots rarely cancel except in extreme weather conditions, family shoots and syndicates may call off earlier as there is less at stake financially.

It won't make much difference this time of year they will fly if they're flyers .early season phezys arnt as waterproof but this time of year they've seen some rain don't you think !
    Good luck
    Last edited by norma 308; 14-01-2014 at 17:58.

Lovely - cheers chaps. Thank you for the prompt replies.

I am happy to be out there and looking forward to the day.

Cheers + ATVB

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

If the sun shines the birds won't fly well, so you need it to be a little dull to have a good day.

only time I have heard of commercial (or other really) shoots cancelling is if it is foggy (has happened to me) , so windy they are worried nothing will fly or you will blow over and shoot someone (no really, Ive been cancelled for that!) or if the rain is so heavy you cant see through it or it stops you getting about (never happened to me)

Its winter, it rains we shoot!! Just dress for it and Im sure youll have a great day

Last days shooting we had it was peeing it down all morning and its the best days shooting we have had this season.

Enjoy your day

wear waterproofs and enjoy yourself!. as above comments and dry or wipe your gun as soon as you have finished, then give a good clean when back home