Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what scope

what scope

what scope for my 17 want to spend 100 ish and dont know what mag to get it will mostly get used a night ?

Have a look at the vortex crossfire range or if you can squeeze a bit more into your budget have a look at the diamondback range, only hearing good reports about the vortex scopes the now and good value for money. If you can live with only 10 mag a Simmons whitetail 3.5-10 is the way to go! Great scope for the money, they come up second hand regularly for under 100. There's also hawke, Nikko Stirling and possibly MTC(secondhand) in your price range but defo the wtc gets my vote at that sort of money.

The whole subject of what scope seems to be a minefield as far as I can work out!
    However, for what it's worth, I've got a Hawke 3-9 x 50 on my .22 for bunny bashing, and I'm delighted with it. Cost would be in the region 85 I think.
    Now someone will chip in and say that Hawke are a load of crap and you need scope xyz and you must spend hundreds of pounds...
    The choice is yours!

When I bought my 17 I got a Hawke Sport HD illuminated 4-12x56 which was 99. This has served me well and has been fine for HMR ranges and good under the lamp. It's stayed on 12x the whole time it's been there. I did replace it with a 2nd hand Leupold 10x fixed when the funds allowed and that has been much better but was twice the price and older than me!

HAWKE are crap. But if your on a budget there is worse. If you are bunny bashing at night and presumably under a lamp then the HAWKE and many others will be fine. I would say go for more mag. An old AGS 4-16x56 wil go for about 100. The thing with a HMR is I head shoot 100 yards all the time and you can shot out to 150 quite easy and at that distance a bunny looks quite small in the crosshairs.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Second hand edgar brothers or meopta

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Second hand edgar brothers or meopta
    I have no experience of Meopta but can confirm the Edgar Bros Optimate range really punch above their weight. I have a 8x56 and a 3-9x44 on its way and they are not big money 2nd hand.

As far as Hawke go I have a 1-4x24IR Endurance 30mm tube which is holding up fine on a .308 but I cannot comment on other models in their range.

Hope this helps, Chris.

was thinking a secondhand nikko nighteater

Have a look at the 5-15x40 Bushnell Legend.
    They are a cracking scope for the money - Good range of magnifacation and very bright optics.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    Have a look at the 5-15x40 Bushnell Legend.
    They are a cracking scope for the money - Good range of magnifacation and very bright optics.