On the pay role bad press about jelen deer services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tayfix

Mike Alison of Jelen Deer took £550 off me to pass level 2 in a deer park, He paid a AW to represent Jelen. Now this AW has been taken off the DMQ list for reason I do not know.
my portfolio was rejected because of being filled out badly and I presume other issues with the AW.
mike states it's nothing to do with him as he is not at fault whilst he was very happy to take my money and pay the AW. I took the course with Jelen not the AW.
I know if I paid some one to represent my firm and had there name showing on my web site, My firm would take the blame or put things right.
Please can all that read this give me there comments.

easy, Mike...you're due this chap a refund I'm afraid under the Sale of Goods Act.

cough up..sucks, yes,,but you'll lose in small claims court.

Law of agency may apply, for starters. Premise being 'he who does something through someone else does it himself' or words to that effect. If the AW was agent for Jelen, he was Jelen. If that is the case, also it depends on what you agreed with Mike about what Jelen would/would not provide.

I've not used Jelen, but have only heard positive things. Think you should speak to Mike again as this has the hallmarks of an 'iffy' thread; imho.
Am sure something can be worked out. Good luck

Pay roll.

Mmmm...

Mike and i agree, disagree and agree to disagree on a regular basis..

My first thought is why try to name and shame Mike first before naming the AW and asking him to recompense you.

His name and address will be on your portfolio..

The contract is with Jelen, whoever they chose to subcontract the work out to is up to them.

From their website:

The cost of this course is £599.00. This one-off cost will entitle the applicant to:

· 3-4 deer witnessed for L2. These will be cull deer featuring in the annual deer culling program based firmly on removal of poorer, substandard or sick/injured animals as a matter or priority. usually Roe, Red or Fallow deer.
· All transport whilst on the land, and the use of the Estate rifle if required.
· Approved Witness Service, by 2 two separateApproved Witnesses and portfolio completion, plus help and advice in all aspects of deer culling where required.

If listed AWs were not provided then it is breech of contract. Simple.

It appears that you are another unfortunate soul who has been let down by the lucrative business of DMQ 2

I don`t know the whole ins and outs but quite simply reading your post it seems that you are a victim of someone selling you something that was not fit for purpose ie. a DMQ level 2 course with a reliable and proficient AW without one you cannot possibly take the course, as you are reliant on the AW being honest and capable of assessing your abilities

Deer park?? £550?? portfolio rejected?? AW took off list?? Without a doubt you need to be talking to Mr Alison with the expectation of a full refund, or, at least the opportunity to take the DMQ level 2 course again with a proficient AW who`s capable of filling out the paperwork correctly

Bob

Mike Alison of Jelen Deer took £550 off me to pass level 2 in a deer park, He paid a AW to represent Jelen. Now this AW has been taken off the DMQ list for reason I do not know.
my portfolio was rejected because of being filled out badly and I presume other issues with the AW.
mike states it's nothing to do with him as he is not at fault whilst he was very happy to take my money and pay the AW. I took the course with Jelen not the AW.
I know if I paid some one to represent my firm and had there name showing on my web site, My firm would take the blame or put things right.
Please can all that read this give me there comments.

Greg,

It seems that you have conveniently forgotten that your portfolio (all except the shot, grallochs and inspections) was filled in some months previously by another AW, who wrote the questions down and then let you take it home to fill in the answers (your words), and this was flagged up to the BDS by the AW. Highly irregular in my view. However, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned his name on here!!

The fact remains that Jelen provided you with the venue, your three deer (which you culled) witnessed by an AW. I do not believe the AW was at fault as he has provided a full written statement of the events. I have asked you for a written statement too with the view of getting you and the AW together at our office and reaching an amicable solution. You were reluctant to provide anything in writing, and so the informal process couldn't be initiated. I believe your portfolio was in such a mess - and the letter from the BDS assessor to you confirmed that (I still have a copy of that document) - and you think its OUR fault???

I provided you all the paperwork for our official complaints procedure, but you have decided not to follow that procedure for reasons best known to you. I have asked you to direct all future communications in writing as there are gross inconsistencies in the phone conversations between you-BDS, you-AW and you-Jelen.

The DSC2 opportunity offered no guarantees that you would achieve your DSC2. My view is you failed to meet the criteria according to your assessor, the BDS rejected it, and you feel a bit hard done by.

You are still entitled to make an official complaint through the complaints procedure we have in place. The matter would then be dealt with by an independent party. Perhaps you can explain to us why you chose not to do that???

Follow the proper procedures, and if we were in the wrong I will give you a full refund.

Best Regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

I did my level 2 through Jelen and I must say they were nothing but professional to deal with. Thay made it perfectly clear that there was no guarentee to passing the qualification.

As always 2 sides to the story and no guarantee that a level 2 could be passed. You could be spoon fed all the opportunities but if your not competent to deal with it you won't pass. Completion of the portfolio is part of that process and the only thing presented to an assessor, if that's not right how could they pass it?
Wingy

"The DSC2 opportunity offered no guarantees that you would achieve your DSC2. My view is you failed to meet the criteria according to your assessor, the BDS rejected it, and you feel a bit hard done by."

This says it all , Jelen can not guarantee a pass they can only guarantee the opertunity to pass, the onus is on the candidate to be up to standard and fill the form out correctly perhaps with help. Pigs ear purse springs to mind.
Doing DSC2 in a park is a whole other subject that I wonder about but perhaps on another thread

Tayfix,

It would clarify matters considerably to neutral observers if you could copy your rejected portfolio on to your post and also what the assessor found inadequate about it.

I am sure that a lot of people contemplating or doing DSC2 will be interested.

atb Tim

If its as Mike says and the portfolio has been rejected due to it being inadequate and substandard then the op will have to suck it up and get on with it as there is no guarantee of passing, he will just need to rectify whatever the problems were and submit it again.

If its as tayfix says and the portfolio has been rejected due to a sub contracted aw from jelen been deemed unsuitable to perform duties as an aw anymore then a full refund or an opportunity to resubmit with an appropriate aw should b on the cards.

As always there's two sides to every story and this would probably be best sorted in private.

Last edited:
DSC2 is not an exam, it's measuring your ability to meet a defined standard. The OP doesn't have to start from scratch again, but instead re-do those elements of the portfolio that didn't meet the standard. Hence why "pass" and "fail" are a misnomer.

And wasn't it just last week some people on this site were even questioning whether the standards defined were robust and enforced?

willie_gunn

Last edited:
What's all the discussion about, the matter is easily resolved by going to independent arbitration as has already been suggested.
This way litigation will be avoided which will surely be the result if the slandering of individuals or companies continues on an open forum.

go down the offical complaints process simple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an AW myself, I always 'grill' the prospective candidate before I go as far as witnessing.
If his experience, or ability to satisfy me, that the candidate hasn't sufficient knowledge to satisfy the criteria needed to be awarded level 2 then I suggest they come back when more experience is gained.
It would appear, in this case, that either the candidate was not questioned beforehand to see if he was ready or the AW was not up to the standard required to be an AW.
If part of the portfolio was already filled in, I would have needed to see that, to satisfy myself that it was up to standard so far and stood a chance of being completed correctly.
It seems to me there were errors on both sides but nothing that Mike couldn't put right I'm sure.

Too be honest this shouldn't have been raised on an open forum should it?
Both sides have their version of events, only the OP and Jelen know exactly what happened and as communication appears to have broken down there is only one way forward unfortunately and that is the legal route.
You have to be so careful what you write on a forum these days for fear of litigation, even if the thread gets deleted one side can print it off before it does and use the allegation as evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back