Hardy Gen 4

Sako308

I have been using a Hardy Gen 4 for a few months now with a .308. Impressed with the size and weight compared with my old Atec Maxim. Disappointed with the noise reduction though. The Maxim (5 baffles) was significantly quieter and I didn't feel the need to use ear protection for the odd shot on a stalk. I do however with the Hardy as my ears were ringing after using it a few times. Why does the design have a muzzle break feature built in which surely makes the mod noisier to the shooter? It wouldn't be necessary for muzzle flip as a moderator dials much of this out anyway. Seems strange to me.

Simples, the muzzle brakes are in the Alloy mods now to try and reduce fire cutting, which unfortunately is part and parcel of using Alloy and some if not most stainless. There's always a trade off with lighter moderators you don't get a free lunch I'm afraid.

Yes light weight on your rifle is good but who really can't cope with a few extra ounces on the barrel? Think I prefer the extra weight and keep my hearing for longer...

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is fire cutting?

The extreme temperature generated with the combusting gases coming from your barrel which are then part way trapped against the internal baffles of your moderator, which in turn are not able to cope so the are in essence melted and slowly corrode.

Thanks for the explanation. I read as much as I could about the Hardy before buying and it received a lot of praise on SD. I just haven't found it to be particularly quiet. It has reduced the weight and improved the balance of my set up though.

Thanks for the explanation. I read as much as I could about the Hardy before buying and it received a lot of praise on SD. I just haven't found it to be particularly quiet. It has reduced the weight and improved the balance of my set up though.

One of our DMG members has a Hardy Gen 4. He is pleased with its light weight but disappointed with how noisy it is.
As noise reduction is the main purpose of a sound moderator I did not choose the Hardy although the weight was indeed attractive.

If it that loud you still really need ear protection then just forget the mod and use the protection :confused:
I have thought about several of the very light mods, and the same complaint is levelled at most, either it
gas cuts, or it's still so loud ear protection is needed, personally although I like light mods, I don't want to have to use
ear defenders for shooting rabbits and the odd fox.

Neil. :)

Be careful my nigloh sling swivel failed on sat morning no stress or anything rifle fell to rocky floor so that need re zero - only bought at midland!!!!!

Back