Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Muntjac practise?

Best Muntjac practise?

Hi. Very new to stalking. I have around 1000 acres which hold fair head of Muntjac and Roe with scattering Fallow. I am definately the only person shooting this ground. When I stalk at first or last light I seldom see any deer. Possibly see a couple once every four trips. But when I lamp for foxes I see plenty. What am I doing wrong. I try to be as quiet as possible and am careful of the wind direction. I do not take any dogs. Loads of slots in gateways/paths etc but seldom see a deer during daylight. As a matter of fact one part of my ground is getting badly damaged by deer and I have sat in high seat again at first and last night but with no luck. I need to bag more as one of the reasons for having this ground is to keep on top of them. Have tried a Buttalo call but only attracted foxes. (Shot 49 of them since feb 09 so doing something right). Thanks for any constructive advice.

Can you tell us a little more about the nature of the land. Undulating or flat? Is it arable or pasture? Do you have any wooded areas?

Re: Best Muntjac practise?

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblebelly
    ....But when I lamp for foxes I see plenty. What am I doing wrong.
    Taking the wrong gun?

Undulating. (Wolds) Mixture of arable and grassland. 80% grassland. Loads of woods but not enormous maybe 4-6 acre each. The ground is shot over by gamebird syndicate with usual cover crop. (This is the main reason I have all rifle rights, to control vermin). Main damage area is new planted trees about 30 acres surrounded by woods. Thanks

Taking the gun does not interfere with the sighting of deer! For your info it is a Tikka T3/T8 using Fed soft point 100grain. Cant see any prob with this!

OOPS!!! sorry, mistook you for someone with a sense of humour.

I was refering to that old chestnut called sod's law... it happens to me everytime I go out with the shotgun or vice versa.

Nevermind, I won't bother you again.

EEEEh the things you see when you ain't got a gun! seriously though , how much tramping is this ground getting?

Hi. It gets gamebird shot over once a week. Obviously there is daily feeding to feeders/pens etc. The odd public footpath but not seen public much. I would say I frequent it the most (Other than the gamebird feeding obviously) and I would walk it maybe twice/three times a week. There is plenty of new slots about all the time so they are definately about just not really seeing them. Its probably something I am doing wrong. If I want to see deer and look for them on the lamp I will see maybe 6-10 each time. Mainly Muntjac and Roe. It is the same story out of season when no feeding of birds etc. Thanks

At the risk of getting my head shot off, I would have to guess you are definately being pinged by these deer, You probably don't just realise it, we have all gone down a ride & just looked over the shoulder to see them seeing you, try getting in very slow & early & just stay put, don't lose patience, just as you get fed up waiting for them & leave they will be watching you!

i seem to shoot most muntjac a couple of hours after 1st light. I was talking to a friend about this yesterday (he also shoots a fair few monkeys) he felt that he shot most at approx 8 am which in summer is significantly after 1st light.
    you could try calling them as well