Best fac air rifle

private fraser

I'm thinking of getting a fac air rifle, just wanting some informed opinions please.

I'm not sure I want to get into pcp, although I realise they are very accurate etc.
Too much kit involved + cost of refills etc. but I must admit I don't know too much about them.

What are the alternatives + what power level is best + calibres ?.

I'll be shooting squirrels around a hen run, ferals in a very big barn and maybe some woodies in trees.

Also, I'm a left hander so those stylish right hand stocks are no use to me.

Thanks

fraser

Last edited:
I know you said no PCP - but Daystate Airwolf at 40ftlb (or so). It has an ambi stock and you can even swap the bolt over to be true left hand if you like. A real tack driver. Worth the spend on an air tank, which will last ages between fills.

+1 i have had a few of these ,can't beat them in fac.
I know you said no PCP - but Daystate Airwolf at 40ftlb (or so). It has an ambi stock and you can even swap the bolt over to be true left hand if you like. A real tack driver. Worth the spend on an air tank, which will last ages between fills.

FAC springers are pretty heavy and jump around like mad, i chopped mine in for a left handed S410 xtra. Also has a power adjuster dial so i can turn it down abit when im in sheds. Wasnt mega money second hand and a bottle of air lasts ages (use 30ish shots a week) and costs £3 fill

i think the old fac wolf/ mk4 have 15 different power settings from say 30/40 down to about 15 ft lbs and adjusted in seconds using the trigger.go 22 as 177 is a waste in fac and i would not limit yourself on power an 18 ft lbs 22 probably would not shoot as flat as a sub 12 ft lbs 177 . the 177 fac suffers from over penatration and you can't have the same energy without de stablising the pellet and going through the sound barrier.

Looks like pcp is the way to go.
I'm guessing around 18 - 20 ft lbs is enough for what I need.
I'll check the market.

Thanks guy's

If you're not going down the PCP route a Weihrauch HW80 would be the way to go but make sure you get it tuned to take the extra twang out of it. The HW80 has a larger cylinder than any other of the Weihrauchs. Diana also do a Magnum but they are a lot more expensive.

Assuming that you already have a 22 rf what about looking at the 22 CB - a29gn bullet with 32 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Ie pretty much identical to a FAC air rifle methinks. Whether you can such ammo from local gunshop haven't a clue, but if you can might be worth trying. Can't see it doing any more damage than an FAC air rifle, and just the job for around buildings etc.
CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

Last edited:
I now use .22rf cb longs for the bridge between subfac air and subsonic rf. Owned several FAC air and for me, more trouble than they are worth.

FAC air has its diehard advocates and in some (IMO very limited) applications its uses but overall, very expensive, heavy(if you want a sensible shot count) high maintenance use of a slot on my FAC.

I've been round the houses on this one.
Tried cb longs and couldn't get a decent group from them from my cz 452 which shoots sub 1" at 100 using winchester subs.
Very unfortunate that, as I agree re the fac slot useage. Two other shooters couldn't get the cb's to group either, in different make rifles.
It's a shame Theoben went bust as the last air rifle I had was a Fenman, lovely wee rifle...never should have sold it as they say.
They did a couple of fac rated gas-rams that would maybe tick all my boxes but since Theoben aren't around I would probably be struggling to get any parts/problems fixed.
I quite fancy a .20 12 ft/lb rifle as that would be a good compromise re trajectory etc. The problem is that up here we don't know what's going to happen re air rifles thanks to mad Kenny...sorry, our illustrious Justice minister. We may/may not be able to add an airgun onto our fac or we may be asked to pay for a separate licence, probably a steep price too.
Thanks for the info.

I've been round the houses on this one.
Tried cb longs and couldn't get a decent group from them from my cz 452 which shoots sub 1" at 100 using winchester subs.
Very unfortunate that, as I agree re the fac slot useage. Two other shooters couldn't get the cb's to group either, in different make rifles.
It's a shame Theoben went bust as the last air rifle I had was a Fenman, lovely wee rifle...never should have sold it as they say.
They did a couple of fac rated gas-rams that would maybe tick all my boxes but since Theoben aren't around I would probably be struggling to get any parts/problems fixed.
I quite fancy a .20 12 ft/lb rifle as that would be a good compromise re trajectory etc. The problem is that up here we don't know what's going to happen re air rifles thanks to mad Kenny...sorry, our illustrious Justice minister. We may/may not be able to add an airgun onto our fac or we may be asked to pay for a separate licence, probably a steep price too.
Thanks for the info.

I know what your going through PF...... Although I am surprised by you r results with the cb longs. Can I ask did you try more the one make? They have been fine in both my Sako Finnfires.

Theoben down own the pan is a great shame, I too had a Fenman for a while and despite my love for all things German IMO it was the best non PCP air rifle at the time.

i would consider an FAC HW100 now I have found lighter, larger capacity cylinders for them but I struggle with what to use it for.....

good of luck hunting though.

I was using CCI cb long's which was the only one I could source. Shame that as I would have liked to try others.
I was beginning to wonder if you needed a target rifle to get good results from cb's. Sounds like you have the perfect range of options re power.

I know Sako Finnfires have an frightening reputation for accuracy (probably why they are to re-introduce it!) and so I took it for granted.

Can you get SK rf ammo up there? Just another thought, SK (German made Lapua) make a 29gr. 64ft/lbs round called the Z LRN reduced charge. This could maybe fit your bill and IME Lap/SK ammo is like tack driver ammo. It's what I use for targets with the Finny.

I went for an FX Royale 400. Ben Taylor (theoBEN) put one of his smooth twist barrels in .22 on it and set it to 32flb. It's an amazing rifle for rabbits and squirrels in trees, which is a no no with rim fire of course.

I went for an FX Royale 400. Ben Taylor (theoBEN) put one of his smooth twist barrels in .22 on it and set it to 32flb. It's an amazing rifle for rabbits and squirrels in trees, which is a no no with rim fire of course.

Bloody hell, you have rabbits in trees?

:rofl:

My recomendation would be a PCP in .22 running 16gn or pellets at 28-30 ftlb.For me its a great tool and very versitile, this makes it my go to rifle of choice as I dont have much in the way of fox. I sold my HMR on ammo concerns basis and it wasnt getting used once I got my FAC Air.The rifle I chose to go for was a Daystate Huntsman, shot count is 30 shots which is fine for me, how ever if you want more shots I would look at a Daystate Air Ranger in .22 @ 30ftlb. The only others I would look at would be Impact air guns (the new/replacement for Theoben) or a second hand BSA S10 or R10 thats been fettled by John Bowkett.ATBMatt

FAC Airgun, .22 BSA Superten running 28-32ft/lb setup by John Bowkett it just doesn't get any better than that......well IMHO.

Although it should be noted that the FX guns are designed to run at higher than 12ft/lb and 'detuned' for the UK market and so they are a safe bet for a FAC airgun.

Back